A small town in NSW, Australia, with a population of around 100 people. Dalton is the most northerly town in Gunning shire. The town was originally named Wesleytown, and the first structure erected was a large communal shearing shed. This shed has recently been restored, and is now the site of a small private museum.

Dalton's location is 34.7170° S, 149.1830° E

The pub in Dalton is known as the best in the nearby area. Other services in Dalton are a post office, which also sells some grocery items, and a petrol/service station. Dalton village has no local mail delivery, so finding a particular house involves careful descriptions.

The Dalton is also a unit of mass equal to one atomic mass unit, or approximately the mass of a hydrogen nucleus. Its abbreviation is Da. Proteins are generally measured in Kilodaltons.

A unit of mass that equals the weight of a hydrogen atom, or 1.657 x 10-24 grams. Named for John Dalton, an early nineteenth century British chemist who proposed the atomic theory of matter.


From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.