Daphne was the ultimate in hot babes from Scooby-Doo. Although she seemed so interested in Freddy, it was always Shaggy, Scooby, and Scrappy-doo that she ended up with. Wonder what Shaggy's secret was? She was in the television series from&its inception to the final 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo which was alos Vincent Price's last teevee show. A sexy redhead with a tendency to wear the same purple microskirt

In Greek Mythology, Daphne was the daughter of the river god Peneus and a nymph of Artemis (Diana). Peneus despaired since his daughter had no desire to wed. She was content in her freedom as a huntress.

One day in the forest, Apollo, the god of light and truth, saw Daphne in an outfit resembling a sundress and thought she was so fine. He wanted a piece of her ass so he chased after her, telling her not to be scared. Daphne, alone and frightened, ran for her safety. This excited Apollo even more so he pursued her further.

Soon, Daphne felt Apollo's breath upon her neck. She saw her father's river and begged him for help. She then felt her feet stuck to the ground and her limbs stiffening. Bark covered her and leaves sprang from her body.

Daphne became a laurel tree. Apollo watched the whole transformation in dismay. Mourning Daphne, Apollo resolved to have athletic event winners don their heads with laurel leaf wreaths so that Daphne would always be a part of his triumphs. The tree appeared to nod its boughs in consent.

The lesson of the story of Daphne is:
To avoid being raped, turn into a tree.

Daphne is an emulator (both Windows and Linux versions exist) for some of the laserdisc games found in arcades during the 80s. It's released under the GPL. It can use actual laserdisc players or MPEG video -files. If you're going to use MPEG files, you'll need a decent pc.

More than 40 games were made using this technique. Gameplay was very limited, because of the huge access time of the laserdisc system.

Daphne is the damsel-in-distress you have to rescue in Dragon's Lair. It's the only laserdisc game most people remember.

At the moment, the following games are supported:

  • Astron Belt (1983, SEGA, Bally, first laserdisc game ever)
  • Cliff Hanger (1983, Stern, Uses Lupin III -material)
  • Cobra Command (1984, Data East)
  • Dragon's Lair (1983, Don Bluth, Cinematronics, Advanced Microcomputer Systems)
  • Esh's Aurunmilla (1984, Funai)
  • Galaxy Ranger (1984, SEGA, Bally)
  • Space Ace
  • (1983, Don Bluth, RDI Video Systems, Cinematronics, Magicom)
  • Star Blazer (Japanese version of Galaxy Ranger)
  • Super Don Quix-ote (1984, Universal)
  • Thayer's Quest (1984, RDI Video Systems)
    • links
    • http://www.daphne-emu.com
    • www.digitalleisure.com (sells cdrom versions of the games)

    Daphne by Edna St. Vincent Millay

    Why do you follow me?—
    Any moment I can be
    Nothing but a laurel-tree.

    Any moment of the chase
    I can leave you in my place
    A pink bough for your embrace.

    Yet if over hill and hollow
    Still it is your will to follow,
    I am off;—to heel, Apollo!


    Notes:

    In Greek mythology, Daphne was the nymph daughter of a river god named Peneus. Dreading the idea of marriage (and the loss of her freedom), Daphne asked her father for permission to remain unwed, to which he begrudgingly agreed. Nevertheless, Daphne one day found herself pursued by the god Apollo, who had become hopelessly enamoured with the nymph. Though Daphne fled her unwanted suitor, Apollo was faster. Just as he'd reached her, however, the panicked nymph cried out for her father's aid, at which point she was transformed into a laurel tree. It's suggested that Millay wrote the poem about her lover Floyd Dell.

    Source

    1. The age of fable: or Beauties of mythology by Thomas Bulfinch (1913)
    2. What Lips My Lips Have Kissed: The Loves and Love Poems of Edna St. Vincent Millay by Daniel Mark Epstein (2001)

    << The Penitent  || A Few Figs from Thistles (1922) || Portrait by a Neighbour >>

    Daph"ne (?), n. [L., a laurel tree, from Gr. .]

    1. Bot.

    A genus of diminutive Shrubs, mostly evergreen, and with fragrant blossoms.

    2. Myth.

    A nymph of Diana, fabled to have been changed into a laurel tree.

     

    © Webster 1913.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.