Darren Aronofsky was born Febraury 12, 1969 in Brooklyn, New York. Spending much of his childhood watching movies, he showed an early enthusiasm for the art. After high school, Darren studied film at Harvard and it was there he first met Sean Gullette, who starred in his thesis film, Supermarket Sweep. The film eventually became a National Student Academy Award finalist.

In 1996, Aronofsky started work on what was to become pi. His script received good response from his friends, and thus, he set to make the movie. With a total budget of roughly 60,000 dollars, it was a very inexpensive movie, but regardless, it had huge success for an independent. Pi was awarded at the Sundance Film Festival.

The filming process of pi was very stressful, and Darren experienced headaches that could be likened to those of Gullette's character Max.

Aronofsky has just finished Requiem for a Dream, based on a Hubert Selby book. The movie looks heavily into the various kinds of addiction that people let themselves be controlled by.

Aronofsky is currently working on a Batman movie with comic book artist Frank Miller of Sin City and Dark Knight fame.

Audited April 18, 2002

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.