Data Center Curling is a sport in which slackers hurl two-foot square floor tiles along the floor of a data center amid multi-million dollar equipment in an attempt to sink the tile perfectly into a vacancy in the raised floor grid.

The contestants begin by pulling the tile in question from its normal resting place with a floor puller and walking to the starting area -- usually two or three adjacent tiles marked with tape. They then prepare their approach with a few practice swings while taking aim. (Too much practicing causes the contestant to lose arm strength and accuracy.) Finally, with a firm grip on the puller's release handle, the athlete swings the tile in a broad underhand swing or in a sweeping arc from back to front at the side, releasing the suction on the tile at a time gauged to send the tile sliding toward the target hole.

The ideal shot is a sinker, which is when the tile sinks perfectly into the grid from whence it came. This shot is worth ten points. If the tile ends up falling into the hole on its side, five points are awarded (and whatever was down there is now broken -- hopefully it's not a critical system). If the tile ends atop the floor, partially obstructing the hole, then two points are awarded unless the result is a star. A star is when the center of the tile is roughly over the center of the hole but the tile is turned roughly 45 degrees from a sinker so that each corner of the tile is supported by an edge of the hole. A star is worth seven points.

A friend of mine once suggested a much more complex scoring mechanism with multiple target holes and a referee, but to the best of my knowledge that system was never actually played.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.