Singer/Songwriter from Wales. Albums include Sell Sell Sell and White Ladder. He achieved megastar status in Ireland while the rest of the world studiously ignored him. Nobody is certain why he especially appealed to the Irish, but White Ladder has been in the Top Ten here for two years or something ludicrous like that. On his official web site (davidgray.com), this success is credited in no small part to the support of DJ Donal Dineen, who pushed Gray relentlessly through No Disco, his well-regarded alternative music show on RTÉ television. Trivia buffs may be interested to note that Dineen contributed the cover photography for White Ladder.

In 2000, two years after the album was first released, the single Babylon charted at number 5 in the UK Top Ten, indicating that his home country was finally beginning to take notice. White Ladder was re-released worldwide, and his Irish fans were appeased with the Ireland-only release of Lost Songs. This album was subsequently released to the rest of the world in 2001. A remix of Please Forgive Me also made it into the UK top twenty, despite being burdened with an asinine video. At the time of writing, (Feb 2001), This Year's Love is also being re-released as a single.

The major promotional push in 2000 seems to be allowing David Gray to ease into the worldwide megastar status he so richly deserves.

David Gray was born in Manchester on June 13th, 1968 but moved with his family to Pembrokeshire, Wales at the tender age of nine. Davids first venture into music was as a member of punk band, The Prawns, later to become The Vacums, along with three of his friends, with the apparent intention of 'making a lot of noise, and pissing people off'. The band didn't last long, and David moved away to study at the Liverpool College of Art, where he continued writing songs, although he claims his music was moving into a melancholy Dylan-esque style. With these new songs he went on to form his first 'serious' band - Waiting for Jaffo, and started to play gigs in and around Liverpool.

Davids break came when one of the bands demo tapes fell into the hands of Orbital manager, Rob Holden. Impressed with Gray, but not with the rest of the band, he persuaded them to split, and in 1992, David signed as a solo artist to a subsiduary label of Virgin Records, called Hut. A year later his debut album 'A Century Ends' was released to critical acclaim, but commercial failure. Undeterred, David went on to make his second album, entitled 'Flesh' . Again he met with praise for his work, but no-one seemed to be listening, and he was dropped from his label in 1995.

By a lucky chance, the day he was dropped from Virgin, he was approached by a representative from EMI, who promised him commercial success in the US. David moved to Ithaca in New York to record his third album, called 'Sell, Sell, Sell' but relations between him and the record's producer rapidly broke down, and he moved back to the UK to complete it. This records reception was better than that of the first two, and won him a support slot on the Radiohead tour, but all of this didn't help sales, and he was soon dropped by EMI

David and his main collaborator, known only as Clune who plays drums for David (and he's is absolutely fscking fantastic at it), went back into the studio, and the outcome of this work was White Ladder. After an initial release in 1998, on his own IHT label, he was noticed by people in the film industry, who signed him up to provide music for the upcoming Kathy Burke film, 'This Years Love', in which David and Clune both appear as musicians in a band for which Burke is a backing singer . This film led to Dave Matthews, of Dave Matthews Band fame, signing him to his own ATO label, and the release of the 'Babylon' single which catapulted him the stardom, and won him a Glastonbury slot, and causing the album to go 5 times platinum

David has just released 'Lost Songs' as his fifth offering, which garnered him several Brit award nominations.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.