The brainchild behind containment, Dean Acheson is heralded as one of the greatest minds in government service. Acheson was brought up in an upper-middle class town of Middletown, Connecticut. He attended Groton boarding school, where he would publish a rather sharp crticism of the Groton mindset in "The Snob in America." For a strong conservative, Acheson held a strong contempt for elitism. His days of taking on the authority at Groton would carry over to his carrer in government service where he is described as an intimidating force.

Acheson did not particularly enjoy working under Franklin D. Roosevelt during the New Deal era. He found Roosevelt's approach to The Great Depression too unorthodox and ineffective, while also holding a heavy disdain for Roosevelt's arrogant nature. Unlike his peers, Acheson would feel much more comfortable working under the gritty, down to earth Harry S. Truman than FDR. When FDR and Acheson clashed over the devaluation of the dollar, Acheson was handed his pink slip.

After having started off in the Treasury in the early years of the FDR administration, Acheson found himself drafting American Foreign Policy during the initial phase of the Cold War. Acheson was a staunch conservative, but stood by his principles even when unpopular. He took heavy criticism for his dealings with Nationalist China and his defense of Alger Hiss. Acheson would serve as Secretary of State from 1945-1953 and would embody the American reaction to the bipolar world.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.