display | more...

Before I decided to get up and welcome the morning sun, I had been tossing and turning, in and out of sleep; searching for a combination of perfect pillow placement and blanket coverage to become comfortable enough to remain asleep. I found myself in total control of my dream, in a semi-conscious state, feeling comfort knowing that I was in my own bed. In the dream I was needing to get a way from what could have been the cops. A urge to take off in a sprint engulfed my entire body and I still can feel the remnants of the tension in my shoulders.

It felt like I was trying to run with a parachute attached to my back, as I strained to gain momentum, I slowed down to the point that I could barely pass the people in the crowd just standing there. I just wanted to run faster. I desperately ache for the scenery to streak past, I fought with my legs to work harder, to put more distance between me and the people I was getting chased by. I was being restrained by a power greater than I.

I look back. There are many more men in black suits now and they're closing in on my position. I learn by running backwards the things started passing by at a faster rate. "I can get a way easily now," I thought. I can feel my body becoming relaxed, the dream fades. Nothing is in my memory then the dream picks up again with me running really slow again, for what ever reason because it doesn't seem that I'm being chased anymore. I end up where I started with the same background as before. I had ran in a circle.

I can't explain the great anguish for me to push my body to over come this barrier of not being able to run. I don't know why I have these dreams about my legs, or for that matter why I have fighting dreams where I have the same problem with my fists not moving at the proper speed. If only I could use this motivation I have in my dreams when I'm a wake to get other things done. I can just about imagine what could happen. I can only imagine.

December 19, 2007

Notes on a nodecast

So I had an inkling to do a node reading, and settled on Antarctica: Life in a dream wonderous. Then timed my first reading. Revise, rethink. Find a SHORT iceowl-Antarctica node. Time it. Edit it down still further. Get some bright ideas about mixing in sound effects. Tinker a little...

iceowl gave his blessing back in June.
But I managed to finish while it was still the International Polar Year.
Thomas Crean's South Pole Inn still operates in Co. Kerry. Must stop in sometime.
Recorded on a Nokia N-Gage, Audacity on Alicia the iMac, and assorted utilities (SoundFlower, SoundConverter), and occasionally Jellybaby on my lap. Assorted sound samples from therecordist.com, The Thing trailer, X-Com, Amazon previews, and Sigur Ros ("Dogun" and "Staralafur", as introduced to me by CoolBeans).

With no further ado: Aurora Australis (Antarctic-Jelly-McMurdo-Flurry Remix)

(pending the release of Heisenberg's next episode, naturally.)

I've recently learned Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah' and, God, I love playing it, atheist that I am.

It was onshore today, so hang gliding from Marshall Peak and Crestline was doable and it was actually really good soaring for December. I hiked in from the highway with Dexa (while the others drove in) and though the 25-minute hike meant I was sweaty and clammy in the breeze at Marshall Peak where we set-up our hang gliders, it was cool. I'm fat and need the exercise; Dexa's fit and exercises to keep it that way. Dexa's husband, my co-worker, Peter, had laid out our gear and started setting up Dexa's glider and then his. The hiking warm-up meant that I was already keyed-up and focused before I got in the air; I think it helped.

So there was plenty of lift and there were many hang glider and paraglider pilots out enjoying the conditions. I got high and tried to go back to the higher Crestline ridge, but there wasn't much wind back there, so I turned tail and ran back to the front range of hills. Still fun trying. Did many circles in weak lift near the low hillsides while a crowd of gliders soared above the ridges hundreds of feet above me. Eventually, as I hit 1,000 AGL and prepared to land, I bumbled into a strong thermal and I climbed back up to 4,000 feet MSL (launch height) and then even higher. I thought I'd been flying for an hour and a half at least, but it had only been 45 minutes. That's when you know you're having fun.

Tried for that high ridge again, but didn't find the lift back there. Enjoyed the view for a bit and then went in and landed, 1:10 after launching. Walked around the LZ talking to the other pilots about how great it was. Packed up my glider, etc.


Excellent Day!


Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.