Yesterday I had the massage that I have once every two weeks.

We talk first about muscles and illness and emotions. He is thinking that if we forget how to use certain muscles and put them in the "armor suit" then that is where our body will store toxins. After all, we aren't using those muscles. Good storage place. And then that in turn is where illness or cancer could pop up.

I am talking about emotions: that the US culture seems to see certain emotions as "negative". Anger, fear, grief. I asked my son what he thinks emotion is. His reply: "Chemicals?" I think emotions are neurological information. Information just as much as what our eyes see, our ears hear. If we label some emotions as "bad", how can a child protect herself from a predator, from abuse, from a charming addict? If girls are supposed to be "nice" all the time, they have to suppress any "bad" emotions. Why would we suppress neurological information? And both my massage person and I think that stuffed emotions go into the armor suit. So toxins from the outside and toxins from the inside.... no wonder we get sick.

In the massage I am paying attention to each muscle, asking them to relax, rather then focusing on my breathing. I am also thinking that I am not sure my back is broad enough to carry what I want to carry, between work and family. I am asking the Beloved about that, sort of.... and then I have the sensation that my back is very broad. Enormous. Very very strong. I have small hips and an enormously strong back. I am 5'4" and 130 pounds. Yet in this sensate dream, my back is as wide and strong as my friend who is 6'4" and 220 pounds.

It's not momentary. It goes on for thirty minutes or more. My latissimus dorsi are tight and sore, punching muscles. We talk about how we would both like to see grade school children taught to activate the slow twitch muscles, to loosen and drop the armor suit. Most of the physical education and sports are fast twitch. "Not synchronized swimming," I say. The first formal move they are taught is to float on their back, legs straight. Hands controlling position to stay still in the water. They slowly bend one knee and then straighten that leg up, and equally slowly lower and straighten it. This is called the ballet leg. My daughter started synchro at age 7 and had to do that at her first meet. They were scored on the Olympic scoring from the start: the beginners scored in the 3 range.

"No," he says, "synchronized swimming must use slow twitch. But that and Tai Chi are the only ones I can think of, and maybe some dance." He says that I need to learn to release that energy: the wanting to punch, wanting to kick, instead of storing it in my muscles.... I have a heavy bag. I will make time.

I am silent, exploring the map of my back, strong and broad enough to carry much more than I thought....

Young synchronized swimmers here: http://drkottaway.com/2015/12/24/armour-suit-ii/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.