On news of his death, I found this nodeshell.

Dee Dee Ramone, born Douglas Glenn Colvin, was one of the founding members of the punk band The Ramones. He died yesterday (June 5, 2002) at the age of 50 of a suspected drug overdose according to the local coroners office. He was found by his wife on the couch at 8:25 p.m., he was declared dead by the paramedics at 8:40 p.m.

An investigator noted drug paraphernalia, including a single syringe on the kitchen counter. In his autobiography “Lobotomy: Surviving the Ramones” he wrote of his struggle with drug abuse.

The official Ramones Web site reads: "Our brother Dee Dee died last night, June 5, 2002, at his home in Los Angeles, California."

“They're the daddy punk group of all time” according to The Clash frontman Joe Strummer.

Dee Dee grew up in Berlin, as his father was in the US Army, he became interested in collecting 3rd Reich memorabilia. When he moved to Queens, NY, he developed in interest in rock music, and soon after (and possibly related) developed an addiction to heroin. He began to support his habit by street hustling. In the early 1970’s, he while supporting himself by working as a barber, a post office worker and on a construction site, he met John Cummings. They both were interested in the raw, garage rock sound of the Stooges and the New York Dolls. These bands had a more stripped down sound than the more mainstream rock of the time. Dee Dee and Cummings formed the Ramones, Cummings later becoming Johnny Ramone. Dee Dee played bass, while Johnny played the 6-string. Shortly after, a drummer by the name of Jeff Hyman came on as drummer, but he was unable to handle it and became the lead singer, Joey Ramone. The band's manager, Tom Erdelyi took over on drums as Tommy Ramone.

Dee Dee Ramone later went on to become a solo recording artist as the unsuccessful rapper Dee Dee King, as well as a painter and a writer, but he was never as successful as he was with the band that brought punk to the masses. Sources: news.yahoo.com www.allmusic.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.