Deep Blue Sea (1999)

Directed by: Renny Harlin (Die Hard 2: Die Harder - not Die Hard, thanks to RalphyK for the correction)
Written by: Duncan Kennedy, Donna Powers & Wayne Powers (II)
Genre: Action/Horror/Sci-Fi/Thriller

Cast: Saffron Burrows, LL Cool J, Michael Rapaport, Samuel L. Jackson, Jacqueline McKenzie (I), Thomas Jane, Stellan Skarsgård, Aida Turturro

Plot: A group of scientists, with $200 million in funds provided by a millionaire businessman Russel Franklin (Jackson), are searching for a cure for Alzheimer's disease. Led by Dr. Susan McAlester (Burrows), they find a potential cure in the brain cells of sharks. The sharks are consequently genetically modified to have bigger brains, so they can harvest this enzyme. However, things go horribly wrong when a storm causes a massive structural integrity failure and the station starts to sink. On top of this, the bigger brains have made the sharks smarter, so they get tired of captivity and start to fight back.

Review:
Well, as far as "deep sea" movies go, I liked this one. The plot follows a group of scientists as they search for a cure for Alzheimer's disease. They find a cure in shark's brains, so the sharks are genetically tinkered to make their brains bigger. Not a terribly smart idea. A storm causes the station to start sinking and the sharks decide to use this opportunity to escape. It's a slightly refreshing twist on the killer shark genre and lends a slightly moral aspect to the precedings ("but it's for the good of mankind!" kind of thing) which isn't really properly explored - although seeing as how this is an action film that's understandable.

The cast is quite likeable, with Jackson, Burrows, LL Cool J and Thomas Jane all putting in good performances. Jackson's stern millionaire businessman who gets more than he signed on for, Burrows's calm, collected head scientist dealing with the consequences of her creation (even if at times the character seemed somewhat cold-hearted), LL Cool J providing comic relief as the chef and Thomas Jane exuding a kind of Crocodile Hunter vibe as the experienced diver. It's also good to see Australian actress Jacqueline McKenzie on the big screen. Overall, the characters are likeable, even if at times they do seem kind of cliché. The action is intense at times, the story well-paced if perhaps a little predictable and the whole song and dance is well-executed by director Harlin. In short, Deep Blue Sea is an enjoyable action movie for those in the mood for a little "deep sea" action.

Rating: R for graphic shark attacks and language (USA)

Followed by: None.

Soundtrack:
Available on Warner Brothers, the soundtrack has the following track list:

  1. LL Cool J - Deepest Bluest (Shark's Fin)
  2. Smokeman - Smokeman
  3. Natice - I Found Another Man
  4. Bass Odyssey - Remote Control Soul
  5. Cormega - Mega's On His Own
  6. Amyth - Come Home With Me
  7. LL Cool J - Say What
  8. Starks & Simone - Burn Baby Burn
  9. F.A.T.E. - Just Because
  10. Hi-C - Get Tha Money (Dollar Bill)
  11. Jones & Chantel - I Can See Clearly Now
  12. Deetah - El Paraiso Rico
  13. Divine - Good And Plenty
  14. Trevor Rabin - Deep Blue Sea Montage

Links:
IMDB page - http://us.imdb.com/Title?0149261
Amazon.com soundtrack page - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000JQZ1/qid=1028545704/sr=8-18/ref=sr_8_18/104-0237164-9453515

Sources:
IMDB
Amazon - http://www.amazon.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.