The second greatest computer in the entire space-time continuum according to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Determined the answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe, and everything. Second only to earth which was built to determine the question. Unfortunately, the earth was destroyed by Vogons moments before the question was determined.

Also, an old IRC chat bot. Modified versions of the Eliza chat bots have been known to demonstrate great resentment of Deep Thought, claiming to be jealous of Deep Thought for its superior features and powers (as a joke of course, Eliza didn't even start out as an IRC Bot).

Deep Thought was Deep Blue's ancestor; a chess-playing supercomputer named after the computer in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Constructed in 1988 by a team of grad students at Carnegie Mellon University, it originally had 2 processors and could calculate 750,000 positions per second. It received a performance rating of ELO 2450.

In 1989, Deep Thought was upgraded to contain 6 processors and analyze 2,000,000 positions per second. It was beaten by Gary Kasparov in 41 moves that year, but in 1993 it defeated the youngest grandmaster in history, Judit Polgar. IBM soon began sponsoring the project and Deep Blue was born.


Source: http://www.sciam.com/explorations/042197chess/042197powell.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.