De*li"cious (?), a. [OF. delicieus, F. d'elicieux, L. deliciosus, fr. deliciae delight, fr. delicere to allure. See Delight.]

1.

Affording exquisite pleasure; delightful; most sweet or grateful to the senses, especially to the taste; charming.

Some delicious landscape. Coleridge.

One draught of spring's delicious air. Keble.

Were not his words delicious? Tennyson.

2.

Addicted to pleasure; seeking enjoyment; luxurious; effeminate.

[Obs.]

Others, lastly, of a more delicious and airy spirit, retire themselves to the enjoyments of ease and luxury. Milton.

Syn. -- Delicious, Delightful. Delicious refers to the pleasure derived from certain of the senses, particularly the taste and smell; as, delicious food; a delicious fragrance. Delightful may also refer to most of the senses (as, delightful music; a delightful prospect; delightful sensations), but has a higher application to matters of taste, feeling, and sentiment; as, a delightful abode, conversation, employment; delightful scenes, etc.

Like the rich fruit he sings, delicious in decay. Smith.

No spring, nor summer, on the mountain seen, Smiles with gay fruits or with delightful green. Addison.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.