The Delta Flyer is fictional general purpose interstellar Craft in the television show Star Trek: Voyager. The hull of the Delta flyer is highly aerodynamic, and is composed of tetraburnium alloys with parametallic plating. The warp nacelles are variable geometry, reflecting Voyager's own warp drive system. The lay-out is fairly conventional - a large cabin occupies the front portion, with the engineering section aft feeding nacelles to port and starboard. The EPS conduits is the plasma manifold are isomagnetic, minimizing power losses and increasing engine efficiency. There is a small cargo bay and transporter system installed in the Flyer, along with the various systems usually associated with vessel of this Type. The area where the Delta Flyer differs most from Starfleet designs is in the defense systems. The Unimatrix shielding was developed by Lieutenant Commander Tuvok, while the weapons array developed by Seven of Nine is based on Borg technology and includes photonic missiles.

While most of the Delta Flyer's control systems are conventional, the helm controls are based on those of early to mid 20th century aircraft - a choice made by Lieutenant Paris for aesthetic reasons. Paris also wanted to add dynametric tail fins to the nacelles, claiming that an intimidating look would deter attackers, but he was overruled.

A vessel like the Delta Flyer is a good example of Starfleet's recent policy of allowing starships the freedom to develop their own shuttle designs - although in this case Starfleet naturally had no say in the matter. The Intrepids were one of the first ships designed to produce field-replicated and field-designed shuttles, and Voyager's success in producing a vessel of this size and capability is further proof that Starfleet's policy is the correct one. On the Flyer's first mission it successfully rescued an advanced probe from deep within a gas giant's atmosphere, and since this time it has proved to be highly successful in service.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.