Demolitions Man

A Quake Team Fortress Class

The Demolitions Man moves at medium speed, and wears an average amount of armor. He can wear a maximum of 120 yellow armor. He uses the axe, the shotgun, and the grenade/pipebomb launcher. His grenades types are Hand and Mirv. At close range, the demoman is particularly dangerous... his main weapons are his launcher and hand/mirv grenades, and with them he can clear rooms in seconds. But at long range, he's in trouble. Due to his speed and weaponry, he's a good offensive class... but with his pipebombs and mirvs, he's often used as the last line of defense.

He carries a dual Grenade/Pipebomb launcher:

The grenade launcher operates as normal. The pipebomb launcher lobs grenades that don't explode until the demoman wants them to. Lay some pipebombs around, and when you want to detonate them, use the "detpipe" alias. Pipebombs explode of their own accord after 2 minutes, and when the demoman who set them dies. Also, due to Quake's limit on the number of entities, there's a limit on the number of pipebombs. It's team based, where each team can only have X number of pipebombs in existence at one time. If another pipebomb is launched, one of the older pipebombs is automatically detonated. The limit varies depending on the server.

And, of course, he carries the Detpack:

This is a large-scale explosive device. The timer on the Detpack is set by the demoman. The demoman can use preset timer values using the +det5, +det20, +det50 aliases, or the demoman can specify the exact amount he wants to use. See the Pre-Impulse section below for details on how to do that. It takes 4 seconds to set a detpack, and the demoman cannot move during that time... but at any time, he can stop priming it, retrieve it, and run. To do this, bind a key to one of the detpack aliases. Then, when you press that key, you'll start setting a detpack. If you hold down the key for 4 seconds, you'll set the detpack. While holding down the key, you won't be able to move. But, at any time you can release the key, which will make you stop setting the detpack. Great if you get attacked while trying to set a detpack. And yes, you will keep your detpack if you stop setting it.

Commands:

"+det5" : Set the detpack with a 5 second timer.
"+det20" : Set the detpack with a 20 second timer.
"+det50" : Set the detpack with a 50 second timer.
"detpipe" : Detonate your pipebombs.

Other Notes:

The Demoman starts with Blast armor, giving him extra protection against explosions.

Before class balancing, the Demoman was the most powerful class, primarily due to the detpack. Before Team Fortress 2.4, the detpack had a very large effect radius. Placing it strategically could wipe out the entire enemy team and rack up the frags. Prime locations included the bridge in 2fortX and the center of the enemy prison yard in The Rock. Of course, if team kills was enabled, your teammates would become very irate.

In successive versions, the radius was decreased dramatically, and by the time Team Fortress 2.5 came, it was practically useless. The only real use for it would be to blast open certain objectives, such as tunnels in The Rock and The Well, and the bank vault in Quake Town.

The MIRV grenades, although not exclusive to the class, are especially powerful in the hands of the demoman. Due to the demoman's speed, it is easy to run up to the enemy's respawn chambers, toss in a few MIRV's when the chamber door opened, and wait for enemies to respawn into certain death. Another cheap alternative is to toss in pipe bombs and detonate them when the respawn sound is heard.

The pipebombs are also useful for pipebomb jumping. Much like rocketjumps, the force of the blast combined with an initial upward motion would propel the demoman to superhuman heights. Due to the increased armor of the demoman, the blast does not make too much damage. With a lot of practice (or an alias to a macro), it's as easy to pull off as a rocketjump.

The Team Fortress Classic demoman is almost the same. With medium armor and full health, a pipejump with four pipebombs can propel the demoman almost as far as a single concussion grenade. Any more and you will toast yourself. Combat is best near walls and tunnels where you can bounce pipebombs off and enemies have no where to avoid them. In extremely close quarters you will have to use a shotgun or crowbar. Open spaces are more difficult as enemies have lots of place to avoid your projectiles, but with good timing and anticipation a skilled demo can do just as well.

The demoman is an excellent defensive class as the flag can be trapped with pipebombs. Two demomen working together can keep the flag practically still with proper timing. On attack/defend maps like dustbowl, a two-demo cycle can effectively seal a chokepoint. On offense, the demo is not quite as useful as trapping-and-waiting isn't meant for offense. However, as an assistant, can propel teammates long distances with little to no damage (depending on friendly fire settings) and trap for enemy chasers. On attack/defend maps, demos are useful for protecting grenade packs and retaining gained ground, sometimes more effective than a sentry gun.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.