British writer and dramatist, 1935-1994, often called "The Original Wildman of British Television". Wrote many television scripts for both features and mini series as well as plays and movie scripts.

Although he would snugly fit into any definition of "arthouse", Potter didn't share the trendy contempt for television other 20th century screenwriters seem to glory in. He wrote several mini series, and I'm sure this oft reviled genre has never seen anything more outlandish in its poor techniciolor life.

Potter was profound and funny, sympathetic and cruel, ruthless and sentimental. His comedies titter on the brink of tragedy, his dramas verge on the documentary. He had the most outlandish, untamed imaginaion coupled with the audacity of a true comic.

A very abridged list of his most famous works:

Little known fact about Dennis Potter:

When he discovered that he had cancer, he nicknamed his tumour 'Rupert' in honour of Rupert Murdoch, the media magnate and billionaire tyrant. This is the coolest thing that any human being has ever done, ever.

Of course writing two extraordinary screenplays - Karaoke and Cold Lazarus - in the eight months between his diagnosis and death was quite impressive as well.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.