Deucalion was sort of like the Noah of Greek mythology. He was the son of Prometheus, who was a member of one of the earliest race of gods called the Titans.

I guess Zeus decided that all human geings were wicked and decided to destroy them by flooding. Prometheus took it upon himself to warn Deucalion and Deucalions wife, Pyrrha. He told them to build a wooden ark. After the rains came, they floated around on the ark for nine days.They then landed on top of Mount Parnassus. It seems that when the water recided, Deucalion and Pyrrha were the only living creatures left on the earth.

Deucalion and Pyrrha then asked the oracle at Delphi how they might be able to restore humanity. The oracle replied that they should "throw the bones of their mother". They interpreted this as to mean stones, stones being the bones of mother earth. The stones that Deucalion threw became men and the stones that Pyrrha threw became women.

Deucalion and Pyrrha became the ancestors of the Greeks through their son Hellen, for whom the Hellenes (Greeks) were named. The grave of Deucalion was said to be visible in the city of Athens in the ancient temple of Zeus.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.