Deutsche Bahn's Baureihe (Class) 113 electric locomotive is essentially an upgraded subseries of the 110. They were built specifically to power Germany's traditional star train, the Rheingold, when the decision was made in the early 1960s to upgrade its schedule to a 160 km/h top speed (for comparison: today, some commuter trains do 160 routinely --see RE160-- and the ICE 3 has a scheduled top speed of 300 km/h).

The increase in velocity was achieved by putting the loco on new Henschel bogies (or later modified 110-series bogies), changing the gearbox ratios and streamlining the hull. From 1962 through 1968, a total of 31 units were built by Krauss-Maffei and Siemens; they powered Deutsche Bundesbahn's premium long-range trains such as the TEEs. Their flagship role ended with the advent of the 103. They were first classified as 112, but when Deutsche Reichsbahn's class 212 was merged into the numbering system under that number (see 112), they were renumbered as 113. Today, they mainly power seasonal tourist trains.

Technical fact sheet:

  • Concept: Bo'Bo' layout (four axles in two bogies), all axles driven; conventional two-phase AC motors controlled by a 28-level motor-driven power switch
  • Power:3620 kW maximum at 123 km/h; 3080 kW sustained at 105 km/h; -3600 kW when electrically braking
  • Traction: 280 kN maximum, 101 kN sustained
  • Top speed: 160 km/h
  • Total weight: 86.0 tonnes (21.5 tonnes per axle)
  • Length: 16.44 m
  • Distance between axles in bogie: 3.4 m
  • Diameter of driven wheels: 1.25 m
  • Number in service: 29

These data are nearly the same as the 110's; the loco is slightly shorter, heavier, faster, has a little lower sustained traction and immensely stronger dynamic brakes.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.