Dhaka (formerly Dacca) is the capital of Bangladesh, as well as the largest city in the country. It's located in the centre of the country in the delta of the Ganges and Brahmaputra rivers. The city is sectioned into the old city in the south, the modern section named Ramne, and many residential and industrial communities. Dhaka's main port is Narayanganj, which is 16km to the southeast. The 1991 population was 3,368,940.

Founded in the 10th century, Dhaka served as the Moghul capital of Bengal from 1608 to 1639, and again from 1660 to 1704. It was a trading centre for the British, French, and Dutch until it came under British rule in 1765. The city was again named the capital of Bengal in 1905, and in 1956 became the capital of East Pakistan. During the war of independence from Pakistan in 1971 the city suffered heavy damage.

Dhaka features Mughal, Hindu, Buddhist, and colonial architecture, as well as being the cultural centre of the country. There are more than 700 mosques in the city, as Islam in the predominant religion. The three main universities are the University of Dhaka, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, and Jahangirnagar University. The main products of Dhaka are jute, silk, cotton textiles, carpets, processed food, chemicals, jewelry, and rubber goods.

Sources:
http://bangladesh.aamibangali.com/bangladesh/view.asp?title=city
http://www.hsd.ait.ac.th/ihsa/si/a13lc/dhaka/dhaka.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.