Disband is also the name of an electronica/industrial band located in Albuquerque, NM.

Their name came about as a play on both "dis band" (as opposed to "dat band") the idea of disband as dispersal. Their theory of music was to hit "record" on the DAT and see what people generated, and then mix it well.

Their first breakthrough was in getting air play (to be sure, 2am airplay) of their first single, "Lockbox." It could have been a great hit with 2600 fans everywhere, for in a clear moment between the nearly unintelligible lyrics, a clear 2600 Hz tone could be heard, perfect for use in redboxes.

Unfortunately for their long-term viability, the popularity of "Lockbox" led them into the perilous waters of live performance. Over the course of several performances, the members of the band shuffled, the songs changed (and occasionally included covers of other industroelectronica tunes), and the equipment varied highly. Tensions soared, and...

Ironically enough, they disbanded.

After they broke up, their only album, "Audiossuary" came out. This album was a collection of highly varied songs, and included a 'hyper' mix of "Lockbox," in which the lyrics can be deciphered.

Dis*band" (?; see Dis-), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Disbanded; p. pr. & vb. n. Disbanding.] [Pref. dis- + band: cf. OF. desbander, F. d'ebander, to unbind, unbend. See Band, and cf. Disbend, Disbind.]

1.

To loose the bands of; to set free; to disunite; to scatter; to disperse; to break up the organization of; especially, to dismiss from military service; as, to disband an army.

They disbanded themselves and returned, every man to his own dwelling. Knolles.

2.

To divorce.

[Obs.]

And therefore . . . she ought to be disbanded. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dis*band", v. i.

To become separated, broken up, dissolved, or scattered; especially, to quit military service by breaking up organization.

When both rocks and all things shall disband. Herbert.

Human society would in a short space disband. Tillotson.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.