This recipe is a bit messy and is somewhat difficult; it requires making use of the hard ball stage (explained in the directions). However, this is a nice homemade candy to put in gift baskets or just to have in candy dishes, or for late winter/spring celebrations.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Combine water and corn syrup in large saucepan; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; mix in sugar and salt. Return to stove. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Cook without stirring until candy thermometer reads 260ºF or mix hits hard ball temperature (it becomes a pliable ball when a bit is thrown in cold water). Beat egg whites until very stiff. Pour hot mixture into egg whites while beating. Add flavoring. Beat until mix is dull and holds its shape. Drop from buttered teaspoon onto wax paper. Let sit and store.

NOTE: First off, you probably DON’T want to try this recipe without an electric mixer to whip the egg whites (and to whip the substance after you pour in the hot syrup). Secondly, it may be slightly runny, so it is a very good idea to put it in a container that will help it hold its shape; ice cube trays are ideal! Line the trays with individual squares of wax paper (in seasonally-appropriate designs) and wrap each glob. For quicker solidification and help to firm it up, refrigerate in the trays before removing the individual candies and collecting in a nice dish to give or display.

Yield: 8 dozen
Source: Paraphrased from Telesco, A Kitchen Witch's Cookbook
Use for: Imbolc, Ostara, or Beltane

Pagan recipes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.