On 16 July 2001, Dmitry Sklyarov, a Russian citizen employed by ElcomSoft, was arrested by federal agents in Las Vegas, Nevada. His crime: Violation of the anti-circumvention clauses of the DMCA by exposing major security flaws in Adobe PDF and eBook software during a presentation he made at the DefCon 9 conference. He was detained in a US federal prison, but is now free on bail.

2002/12/17: Elcomsoft has been found NOT GUILTY of DMCA violations.

Source: http://www.boycottadobe.com http://www.elcomsoft.com

One important fact not mentioned above: Sklyarov's employer, Elcomsoft, was in the business of selling a program which cracked Adobe's e-Book encryption. Of course, some of this encryption is really quite silly. One of the vendors that sells e-Books uses ROT13, which is about the level of encryption they teach fifth-graders. See also Netscape 3.

Giving a lecture about how to crack copy protection at DefCon is really not the smoothest move you can make. First, the place is crawling with feds. There's even a contest to see who can spot them! Second, all lectures, including who is giving them and what they are about, are announced at the DefCon website weeks in advance. Third, as if the first two reasons weren't deterrent enough, his corporation pissed off a much larger corporation and then ignored its attempts at communication... at a time when the judicial branch is just raring to run the DMCA through a few high-profile test cases! Hello?!? Bueller?!?

That said, here's some more information: Adobe has withdrawn their support of the criminal prosecution of Sklyarov. The feds may have a hard time putting him away for something his corporation did, especially without an actual plaintiff.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.