No! The "Jared Incident" took place at the Ohio State University in May of 2000. It began innocently, with thousands of fliers posted around campus, containing only the words "Do you agree with Jared?". Most of the student body felt this was merely a student government campaign, maybe to bring beer back to the stadium. But no, it turns out Jared is a Christian. Nothing wrong with that of course. But Jared, with cooperation from the Campus Crusaders for Christ, started this whole campaign for unknown reasons. Jared never said what he believes in, or what we are asked to agree with. Jared took out a full page ad in The Lantern stating he was a Christian and you should agree with him. Jared began selling t-shirts on the oval. For $5 you could buy a yellow shirt which said i agree with jared, or a green shirt that said I don't agree with jared. Needless to say, all the little sheepish masses of followers bought I agree shirts, I don't remember seeing one person wearing the I don't agree shirts as those people have the good sense not to spend $5 on a shirt to state they don't agree with someone who has never said what he stood for. All in all I feel it was a big scam to raise money from all the christian sheep on campus. No one learned anything, no one shared ideas or views, no one stated what they believe in, it just ended up being a controversy over whether you agreed with christianity or not, neglecting all other religions and various beliefs amongst christians themselves.

Needless to say the incident pissed me off royally. I'd much rather listen to Brother Jed spew forth garbage.

Interesting. The same thing happened at Cal Poly, except that the shirts said "I agree with Jimmy". I wasn't aware if there were "I don't agree with Jimmy" shirts available.

Personally, I thought it was a rather clever marketing concept. I finally broke down and asked one of the wearers what the shirt meant after seeing them around campus for a week. He told me that Jimmy was a christian student, and that the idea was to have a low-key way of starting a conversation about Christianity, and oh, by the way, they were having a meeting on Thursday if I wanted to come hear more about this God thing. All in all, it was a lot less annoying than being handed a tract, or visited in my home by Mormons.

I don't know if I like it more or less now that I know it was more widespread than a single campus. But one thing is for sure: if he really wants to sell the product, God needs better marketing.

We had the same thing on the Southern Methodist University campus the week before Easter, 2001, except it was Josh, not Jared. Mostly what happened was that there was a lot of debate in the school newspaper about whether the flyers littered the campus, that this was just another Campus Crusade for Christ gimmick that isn't going to bring anyone to God anyway, so why don't they just shut up?, and that the people who tell CCC to shut up should shut up themselves.

There were also parody posters, saying things like "Do you agree with 420?" or "Do you agree with Darwin?" Or even, on a dorm message board, "We agree with Jesus."

On our campus the shirts were orange and free to anyone who wanted one, I believe. All of them said "Do you agree with Josh?" except of course, for Josh's, whose read "I am Josh." (They thought about getting Josh's roommate a shirt saying "I sleep with Josh" but decided against it.)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.