The de facto strongest pickup truck available anywhere is DaimlerChrysler-owned Dodge's Ram. Introduced in 1981, the pickup model (Ram is also available as a heavy-duty van) is currently in its third generation. Its major competition is the Chevrolet Silverado and the Toyota Tundra.

The Ram is simply oozing with options and packages. With three trim levels (Ram 1500, Ram 2500, and Ram 3500), two available cab types (your standard two-seater and a four-door Quad Cab), two steel-bottomed bed lengths (6'3" or 8'), 2WD or 4WD -- the list goes on and on, and as a result, Ram is extraordinarily versatile, making them the ideal truck for heavy duty use. All Rams have Class III towing capabilities, meaning tows of up to 5,000 pounds.

Of course, you can't have a truck without a powerful engine. Ram 1500 uses three: a 3.7-liter Magnum V6 for the two wheel drive version producing 215 hp; a 4.7-liter Magnum V8 producing 235 hp; and an incredible 5.7-liter Hemi Magnum creating 345 hp (the first hemispherical engine to be produced in 30 years, since the days of 'Cuda and Challenger). 2500 and 3500 sport even more impressive motors: the 5.7-liter Hemi; an 8.0-liter Magnum V10 lifted straight out of the Dodge Viper, producing 305 hp; and the most powerful diesel engine available anywhere, the 5.9-liter Cummins Turbo Diesel, which churns out a stump-pulling 305 horsepower and 555 pounds-feet of torque. With all this power it's no wonder that Dodge offers such things as a snowplow kit, and regularly uses the Ram in competition racing in NASCAR's Craftsman Truck Series.

Surprisingly, the Ram is quite affordable, starting at just below $20,000. Not bad for the Mayor of Truckville...

This entire write-up was created without the normal use of s, w, 2 and x. Alt combinations aren't fun.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.