In 1997, the world got to meet sheep Dolly, the first mammal to be cloned from a cell from an already full-grown sheep.

With the process of the creation of Dolly, three sheep were involved. From the first ewe a cell was taken, of which the genes got removed. Thereupon DNA was extracted from a cell from a second ewe and the two cells were merged. Once the embryo developed, it was implanted in a third sheep, who carried the embryo till Dolly was born.

Dolly lived a short life: she was slaughtered after she got pneumonia in February 2003. Normally sheep reach the age of eleven or twelve: her early death once again rose the question whether cloning speeds up the aging process.

Film Term
In the world of movie-making, a dolly is a small, wheeled cart upon which a camera is mounted. Sometimes, the film directoror cameraman also sits on the dolly.

Used for tracking shots, the dolly-mounted camera is pushed along a dolly track as it follows the action.

Some people still don't know that the cloned sheep was named Dolly after Dolly Parton (a country-music singer famous for her large breasts), because the cell she originated from was from the mammary glands of one of her mothers. Those scientists are perverts, I tell ya.

The daughter from The Family Circus. About 8 years old, 2 feet tall, stumpy arms and legs, and has brown hair pulled painfully straight back into a jaunty ponytail.

Rumors of lesbianism, drug abuse, incest, and prostitution are all unfounded

A dolly is a small, handheld anvil used for doing auto body repair. It is used both as a hammer, to push up low spots, or as an anvil, resting on low spots while you hammer down high spots. A good dolly is forged, not stamped, and polished for maximum smoothness. Like an anvil, any pockmarks or ridges in its surface will be transferred to any surface hammered upon it.

Dollies come in a variety of styles. The most common is the rail dolly, which resembles a piece of a piece of rail such as a train would ride upon; It has a rounded upper portion, it tapers toward the middle, and then has a broad, flat or nearly flat bottom. A completely flat-bottomed rail dolly is called a shrinking dolly, and it is used (as its name implies) for shrinking stretched metal, which involves the use of heat.

There are also heel and toe dollies, shaped like the heel or toe of a boot, respectively; comma dollies, shaped like a comma which has been extruded a few inches; and any number of other designs. If you can conceive of a blob-like shape in your head, which features sharp and smooth curves and maybe a flat spot, it has probably been forged or stamped by someone as a dolly at some time in the past.


A dolly is also a cart which is built extremely low to the ground; In fact in many cases the frame of the cart is actually dropped below the axles on its wheels or casters. For instance, one might put a car on four wheel dollys so it can be rolled sideways on a concrete shop floor.

Dol"ly (?), n.; pl. Dollies ().

1. Mining

A contrivance, turning on a vertical axis by a handle or winch, and giving a circular motion to the ore to be washed; a stirrer.

2. Mach.

A tool with an indented head for shaping the head of a rivet.

Knight.

3.

In pile driving, a block interposed between the head of the pile and the ram of the driver.

4.

A small truck with a single wide roller used for moving heavy beams, columns, etc., in bridge building.

5.

A compact, narrow-gauge locomotive used for moving construction trains, switching, etc.

 

© Webster 1913.


Dol"ly (?), n.

A child's mane for a doll.

Dolly shop, a shop where rags, old junk, etc., are bought and sold; usually, in fact, an unlicensed pawnbroker's shop, formerly distinguished by the sign of a black doll. [England]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.