If you do decide to run from the sniper(s) then do yourself a favor and do not run in a straight line.

Snipers are very precise and calculating individuals. They wait for shots at their targets. Once their position is given away they are at high risk. So they obviously shoot to kill. Another factor is the movement rate of the target (i.e. you). These factors give you one tiny bit of hope, especially if you can run real fast.

If it's dark you can have an advantage because if you are lucky enough the sniper does not have a very good night vision scope. Also, if you're not a very large person you can attempt to hide behind a tree. That would accomplish varying amounts of success depending on the size of the tree and/or the caliber of the night vision scope. As you should already know if the sniper can tell which tree you're hiding behind he/she can shoot through it.

I apologize now to any and all people who are: fat, out of shape, blind, or deaf. If you have any of these qualities these instructions will not help you.



Although, If you do happen to be insane, you will not need these instructions to survive. Being insane means not having to listen to anyone...

This expression has gained greater popularity due to the advent of multiplayer games in which a "sniper" weapon is available to players. However, in the strictly military sense, there is an inherent fallacy in this advice.

First, a sniper type weapon generally has a slower reload rate than many more modern (and less accurate) weapons. They are generally single shot weapons, specifically bolt action rifles, which require some time to reload and re-aim before being ready to fire again. Therefore, if you find yourself confronted with a sniper, moving immediately after a shot allows you to take advantage of the reload window, during which the sniper will not be able to kill you.

Second, since a sniper generally won't reveal his or her presence until a target is lined up, if you're still able to move after the sniper has fired a shot, he's not aiming at you. Therefore, you should find cover quickly, before he CAN aim at you.

Finally, if everyone freezes whenever a sniper fires a shot, it is easy for the sniper to select their next target, as all of the targets that were previously considered are in the same place. If an entire group moves at once after a sniper fires, it is extremely unlikely that the sniper can track all of the targets simultaneously and at least a few of the would-be survivors will reach cover.

In conclusion, if you find yourself confronted with sniper fire, it's best to move immediately after the sniper has fired, and find cover before he can fire again. After that, you're on your own.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.