The dooblydoo of a YouTube video is the expandable text visible beneath the video in the user interface of the site, when accessing it from a desktop computer using an internet browser. Sometimes this text serves as a description of the video, an explanation of the circumstances in which it was captured and edited, or a humourous commentary about the contents or the process. Sometimes it is a bibliographic list of sources cited in the video. In videos which are curated playlists of music, the dooblydoo often contains a track list with linked time stamps, allowing listeners to skip directly to the song they wish to hear. For music videos, often the dooblydoo contains the complete lyrics of the song performed in the video, and it may also list credits to all musicians, dancers, other performers, and the production team.

The term dooblydoo is possibly a corruption of the words "down below," and it was coined in March 2009, then used consistently throughout 2009 and 2010, by YouTuber Craig Benzine, under the username WheezyWaiter. Other video makers such as John Green of Vlogbrothers and Edgar Grunewald (username Artifexian) picked up the term and used it regularly enough that it propagated throughout YouTube.

Iron Noder 2021, 1/30

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.