I recently bought this game (right after Christmas, in fact) to take to college with me. Yeah, a NES game. Nobody but me owns a nintendo on my hall, and I had the dubious audacity to bring in an 8 bit system, replete with River City Ransom, Megaman 2, Xexyz, and 12 copies of Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt (hey, they were nine cents a piece). My major faux pas was not having a 2nd player controller, which I also remedied over Christmas, so... inevitably, I goaded people away from their PS's, and PS2's, and Dreamcasts, to play a few games. Double Dragon was a game I had issues with. The arcade version was awesome (for it's time), but the home version was stuck with a 2 player alternating system (pronounced 'lame'), and not a lot of fun things to do. The 1 vs. 1 combat never lasts for long, as I tend to get in the groove to the point where people in the room will just stop playing fighting games with me.

The first thing I noticed about DD3 is that it's hard to play. The control is kinda sloppy, and the enemies all have the same repertoire of moves that you do. I mean, in DD1, at least you could elbow people, and kick 'em while they're down, and all that good stuff, in this game, it's just... too... something. I find that I get farther in UT playing on the godlike difficulty level than I do on level uno of DD3. The worst part of this is that I remember being able to make it past the Chinese guy when I originally played it. Now I can't get anywhere.

So... it looks funky (nes game), and it plays decently (hey, better control than asteroids!), and I would reccommend it over Contra, well, maybe not Contra, but it's definitely better than, say... Mario Party, or Quest 64, for that matter.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.