A double tap is the act of getting off two successive shots from one sight picture as quickly as one can pull the trigger.

The idea is to put two bullets on your target as fast as possible to put the target down quickly. This is mostly practiced on pistols because they generally deliver less energy than rifle rounds but learning to double tap a rifle can also be rewarding and useful.

A person who wishes to perform a double tap will aim for center of mass or the chest then fire two shots in quick succession, if done perfectly the first shot will hit the chest and the second the head or thereabouts which hopefully will neutralize the threat and end the encounter. This is because the gun is just coming back to alignment from the recoil of the first round fired so the 2nd shot is expected to hit somewhere above the first one.

In the real world this does not happen very often, more likely your first shot will hit the A or B zone (on an IDPA target) and the 2nd one will hopefully hit close by or at least the C or D zone, this is on a good day at the range real world is a whole different ballgame altogether. Learning to perform double taps can be tricky but fun. The value of this can be immense if you ever need to put somebody down in a hurry.

People have been known to walk away from center of mass hits from even a .357 Magnum JHP. Local LE personnel here have even told me they sometimes feel that their standard issue DAO Beretta 92F in 9mmx19 is quite inadequate and they tell stories of shooting at a perp who just ran away from them even as they got hit center of mass.

I personally know someone who actually walked away from eleven (yes 11!) hits from a .45 caliber pistol at point blank range, center of mass. This person unfortunately later died due to blood loss and haemmorhage.


Sorry we're all out of political correctness, but we do have a lot more of shmolitical correctness. Parley!

The use of double taps is a technique best reserved for someone with plenty of skill with a weapon. Skillfully employing a double tap requires more than simply pointing and squeezing the trigger. Over-zealous use of this method of firing can lead to unintentional casualties, i.e. killing people you didn't mean to. Note: See Blackwater.

To properly employ a double tap, rely on proper firing techniques. Most important, especially with pistols, is trigger control. Most people will encounter two problems when squeezing the trigger of a pistol:

1. Slapping - Slapping the trigger rather than squeezing it smoothly will cause the barrel of the pistol to pull to one side, usually towards the firing side. Even at short distances this will cause the round to miss the intended area, and in stressful situations this will be exaggerated.

2. Anticipation - Recoil anticipation is when the shooter anticipates the recoil of the weapon, causing them to grip the pistol grip more tightly. This will usually cause the barrel to drop down, throwing the round off drastically at even short distances.

Next, after trigger control, comes body position. The proper body position for combat shooting is to face your intended target directly. Square your body , meaning hips and shoulders should be facing the thing you would wish upon to layeth thy scunion. Next, firmly grip your pistol and grip your firing hand with your non firing hand. Your fingers should overlay, with one hand griping the fist of the other. Your arms (BOTH) should be firmly locked out, shoulders forward, head behind the pistol. Lastly, bend your knees, and lean forward as if you want to punch the target with your hand. Don't be afraid to squat over, but keep your back straight. All these things combined will give you proper body position.

If done correctly, when the round goes off, your good body positioning will cause the barrel of your weapon to naturally come back down on the original target. These steps are called recoil management, and without it you'll get kicked the hell out of country and be forced to change the company name cause you zapped a bunch of civilians you dumb bastards.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.