When the Dr. Phil show premiered in 2002 David Letterman began featuring out of context snippets of the show on his own Late Show with David Letterman. It seems that Dave took delight in tweaking the doctor's image, as in addition to these segments he also claimed that good 'ol Phil used to be married to Oprah Winfrey, among other false things. Typically once or twice (or even three times) a night Dave would pause the action on the show and ask for some words of wisdom from Dr. Phil himself. Then, after a card with the doctor's smiling faces comes up on screen, we were treated to a piece of Philolicous sentiment that is taken totally out of context. As of mid-2003 the segment appears sparingly, if at all; it seems to have met the same fates as other past-gags on the show such as Campaign 2000 and tossing things off the roof of the Ed Sullivan Theater while other, more popular segments such as Late Show Top Ten, Is This Anything?, and Will It Float? have survived.

Past "Words of Wisdom" featured on the show include...

  • It is what it is, the only time is now.
  • I've had a vasectomy, and I've had it reversed!
  • I do yell at my children and I don't know how to stop.
  • I would eat Cocoa Puffs if I got hungry enough.
  • When I was like...4th, 5th, 6th, 7th grade, I raised pigeons.
  • Get horny and call me.


References:
Watching Late Show with David Letterman
http://www.aa-pahoehoe.com/drphil.html
http://www.cbs.com/lateshow/

CST Approved

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.