Dracula: Dead and Loving It is a movie that spoofs the famous Dracula story, released in 1995. It was directed by Mel Brooks and the story was written by Rudy De Luca and Steve Haberman; they also both worked with Brooks on the screenplay. It has a runtime of 88 minutes and rated PG-13.

The Count Dracula has grown tired of staying in his castle and has decided to visit England. He makes the lawyer that has come to his castle, Renfield, into a slave in order to insure his safety. Shortly after Dracula's arrival in England, he takes an interest in some of the women. The movie has a basic plot, and simply takes a comedic twist to most of the Dracula movies.

This is not one of Mel Brook's best films, in fact it is probably one of his worst. The cast isn't to be mainly blamed with such people as Leslie Nielsen from the Naked Gun trilogy and Steven Weber from the sitcom Wings. The script is rather atrocious though, with a very disappointing outcome from a man that we have come to expect much more from. Mel Brooks originally called this a companion piece to his film Young Frankenstein. Do not take him at this, if you want to see a horror film properly spoofed, go see Young Frankenstein.

An interesting part of trivia is that the title is probably referencing the television show Get Smart which Mel Brooks helped create. The main character, Maxwell Smart, enjoyed using the line, "And loving it."

Main Cast
Leslie Nielsen - Count Dracula
Peter MacNicol - R.M. Renfield
Steven Weber - Jonathan Harker
Amy Yasbeck - Mina Murray
Mel Brooks - Dr. Abraham Van Helsing
Lysette Anthony - Lucy Westenra
Harvey Korman - Dr. Jack Seward
Mark Blankfield - Martin
Megan Cavanagh - Essie
Gregg Binkley - Woodbridge
Clive Revill - Sykes
Chuck McCann - Innkeeper
Avery Schreiber - Peasant on Coach
Cherie Franklin - Peasant on Coach
Ezio Greggio - Coach Driver

Sources:
http://www.imdb.com

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.