1. DragonFire was initially a net service offering shell accounts, web page space, pop accounts, ftp and all that jazz for free.

    They had to start charging a while back, but still were an embodiment of 'net culture, cradling users' and their netspace.

    Recently they announced their closure, heralding the end of a Very Good Thing.

  2. DragonFire is also the name of a gaming convention focusing maily on roleplaying games in the style of Dungeons and Dragons.

Addendum: (ca. Novem 2000, pasted from a deleted node) It's been one of those days.. spent trying to find old net haunts and finding them long since vaporised, merely memories echoing through the vastness of cyberspace. This was another of those signposts of change.

A sad little piece of news indeed, the great DragonFire has been destroyed by the capitalist machine.

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:57:30 -0800 (PST)
From: DreamHaven/Dragonfire 
To: staff@dragonfier.net
Subject: IMPORTANT: Dragonfire closure


THIS NOTICE IS BEING SENT TO ALL DRAGONFIRE USERS

Dear Dragonfire User:

We regret that we must inform you that Dreamhaven/Dragonfire Internet
Services will be closing at the end of November.

We have been searching for several months to find a buyer for our service,
and hoped to be able to offer you continuing of services under a new
owner, however no buyer has been forthcoming.  As we can no longer afford
to continue offering the service on our own, this leaves us no choice but
to close.

Please note the following important dates:

     o  We will close all user accounts on December 5, 2000.  At that time,
	all shell, email (POP and IMAP servers) and web services will be shut
	down.  Please, remove your email and other files and make
	arrangements to have any domains hosted elsewhere by that time.

     o  We will allow FTP access to accounts for the purposes of file
	removal though noon on December 10, 2000.  You must remove your
	files by noon EST on that date.

     o	After that time, files may be available by writing to
	staff@dreamhaven.org by December 15, 2000 and requesting your
	files be sent to you.  If possible, a zipped copy of your files
	will be sent to you, however, WE CANNOT GAURENTEE THAT WE CAN
	COMPLETE SUCH REQUESTS, especially for large accounts.

     o	Any domain change requests which require our approval must also be made
	by December 20, 2000.

     o  Any undeposited payments as of the date of this email will be	
	shredded and discarded with your safety and privacy in
	mind.  (Please check your bank statements to check payment status where
	possible; accounting is understaffed and cannot ensure a swift reply to
	queries.)

We again want to extend an apology that we could not find everyone a new
home like we had hoped.  It has been a good few years, but with the tough
competition from the larger corporate entities taking over the Internet
these days, sometimes there's just no more room for the little guys.  We
wish you all the very best.

Bryce Newall
Mikel Tidwell

Atari 2600 Game
Produced by: Imagic
Model Number: IA3611
Rarity: 2 Common+
Year of Release: 1982
Programmer: Bob Smith

"O we are lost, lost" laments the King. "Without our vast treasures we cannot raise an army 'gainst these accursed dragons. Our Kingdom must now languish under lizards!"

"Nay, not so, my liege!" replied the young Prince. "None knows that Castle, those many bridges and storerooms, better than I. Give me leave and I shall loot those lizards of their plunder and restore my lord to his birthright."

"Brave boy," said the King, fully pleased. "But," he added darkly, "beware dread dragonfire!"

Dragonfire is a treasure hunting adventure game for the Atari 2600. Side srolling games that only have a few screens usually tend to get old quick, and this one is no exception.

You begin the game by running across a bridge while dodging fireballs. Then you enter the dragon's treasure chamber. In the treasure chamber you have to wait for the dragon to turn away, and then run in and grab a treasure. Keep doing this until you gather all the treasures and the a door to the next level will appear. Then you can start it all over again with an increased difficulty level.

Scoring

Each treasure you pick up will add to your point total. Different treasures have different point values. Try to get the higher point items first. That way your score will be higher if you meet an untimely death.

Codes, tricks, and cheats

You can screw over the second player with a damage bug. Let one of the fireballs hit you in the legs at the moment you exit the treasure chamber, and the second player will take almost all the damage from it! Of course the second player can retaliate by doing the same thing to you, so this trick is not reccomended.

You can briefly walk backwards in mid air by jumping in one direction, and then instantly preesing the joystick in the opposite direction without releasing the jump button.

Collectors Information

This title came in the standard "shiny" Imagic box. The front of the box showed a realistic graphic of a scary looking green dragon breathing fire. The cartridge label showed a smaller version of the same picture.

This game is valued at around $2 USD. Games with boxes and manuals are worth more.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.