Last night I had a nightmare. I haven't had one in quite a while, but last night I did, it was also quite an odd nightmare. I shall begin by telling you that all my dreams are quite weird and that I become various personas in my dream when I'm not just a viewer looking in as if a movie.

It began as I was with my family. At this point in time I was just me, and I sensed something was wrong, like a really bad vibe. Like something evil was near. I looked around. I saw it, this strange airy figure, looked like a greenish grayish pile of smoke. I ignored it thinking that it would just go away and that it wasn't going to kill me or anything like that. I continued with shopping with my family and their friends. Everything else seemed normal, parents annoying me as usual, family friends were all huggy and seemed to like to "stick together". I just stayed as an independent from all of this "bonding" to wonder bout the smoke I saw just moments before. I look back again, it has disappeared, I guess there's nothing to worry about then. My parents and friends walked out on to the street as I followed behind. They were trying to decide where to eat dinner, pointing at various restaurants. I, was once again left to think about what was happening and what was going to happen zoning out from everyone else's conversation. Then I saw it again, that smoke, it seemed to be lost or confused to where he was going. I walked over to it and stared. A gust of wind blew at me and then it disappeared once again. I was left with a blank stare on my face and began to notice that my parents were walking away. I followed, in awe, at what was happening.

Here comes the most vivid part of my dream. I was suddenly in this HUGE gothic cathedral. I have no idea what I was doing there or what was happening. Then I heard my parents all happy and giggly talking about some sort of wedding going on. I had no interest in the wedding, so I walked away to look around in this beautifully made cathedral (I was always a big fan of architecture). Suddenly I wasn't me anymore. I was just an outsider watching whatever was happening. I saw a priest cleaning some gargoyles. I found it quite odd how many gargoyles was on this particular cathedral. Then I saw this EVIL EVIL looking demon. His face was green, had a pointy nose with warts all over it. Had this wizard-like cape on and had the most hideous hands I have ever seen. His fingernails must have been at least 6 inches long! He seemed to be floating around looking for someone. Then I saw the pile of smoke again. It seemed to take shape now into whatever it was touching. It was chasing the priest, but for a while it never caught the priest. The priest was an old man with a white beard, seemed like a nice guy. Then the priest realized he was being chased by some evil force. Suddenly I was the pile of smoke chasing this man. I had no control of my persona, I was just chasing him. Then as he was running up the stairs he saw the evil demon guy. It was extremely odd how there were strings all tied up around the staircase. Suddenly I became the priest. I felt his anxiety and the sweat falling down his face from fear. He was having a nervous breakdown. Suddenly the evil demon guy started strangling the priest (me). I could feel myself almost suffocating as I begged the smoke to help me since he could just possess the demon and let go. The priest fighting to live, promised to give him whatever he was looking for, as he took out some sort of ticket and flung it around. The smoke immediately possessed the demon, took the ticket and flung me down the 4-storey staircase. Luckily I didn't die, but then the demon (smoke) floated down to the priest (me) and started strangling me until I died. I felt the suffocating, the blacking out and my heart stopping. Then I woke up sweating.

setting: a small town in some unidentifiable portion of America, probably in the midwest. scene opens on myself, frater shinma, and the lugubrious captain mollie walking into the casino/brothel that serves as the cultural center of this town. men and women alike cluster around the cigar-scarred wooden gaming tables, dimly lit from above by gas chandeliers. to the right is a staircase with an ornate brass railing that leads up to the red silk brocade- draped second floor. toward the back of the room, half hidden in shadow, is a bar, to the left of which is a small window, which looks out on a packed clay backyard. just inside the red and black drapery at the entrance is a small brass chair with a red cushion, upon which sits a monkish man of about 30, with shoulder length red-blond hair and startling blue eyes.

and so it begins... after looking around for a while, the three of us become separated; talking to people and playing games. i approach the man on the chair and ask why he seems so uninterested. he explains that he has lived in the brothel all his life, and that his mother "works upstairs". i express interest in the building in all of its functions, and he offers to show me around.

we go upstairs to a red brocade draped hallway, which is obviously the beginning of the brothel, and he introduces me to some of the women. after some brief chatter about the decor, and what a nice, studious boy my new companion is, we go back downstairs, and he leads me past the bar to a previously hidden flight of stairs under the window.

the basement is a very organic sort of darkness, reminiscent of certain parts of nightbreed. a very dimly lit hallway stretches in front of us, and he walks me down to the end of it and opens a small wooden door. i enter the room and he follows, closing the door. the room appears to be a monk's cell, with a small bed, a plain wooden chair, and a bookcase as its only furnishings. the walls are rough hewn, and appear yellowish in the candlelight that is the room's only illumination. we sit and talk theosophy and literature; he shows me his books. then mollie comes in, and takes me aside. "i know what you're thinking," she says, "you can't do that. he's your brother's brother." and i, thinking she meant a close compatriot of my brother, reply, "he sure gets around, doesn't he?" and i turn to resume my conversation. she stops me; "no, he's blood. he's your brother's half-brother." and i reply, rhetorically, "well then, i have to, don't i?" she looks afraid, and then shrugs blandly and leaves the room. the man has been examining a crack in the wall during this exchange, and he turns to resume our conversation, with a smile. my older brother's smile. same soft, thin, red lips; same little pointy teeth...and as the shock settles in, the adrenal response wakes me.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.