For the past year my computer's DVD player program has been broken. It crashed whenever it tried to read a disc. The PC manufacturer blames the DVD driver company and the DVD driver company blames the PC manufacturer. Everything I tried to fix it didn't work and for the past six months I've been in a state of having given up. I had really wanted to lay in bed and watch my new Mystery Science Theater 3000 DVDs, but with the wonky drive it wasn't an option, so I went to bed.

I found myself back at the computer. Everything came together suddenly, I tweaked some settings, and I put a DVD into the computer. Lo and behold, it worked! I had solved the problem!

Then I woke up. It was 4:37am. Damn, just a dream. But... Excited, I jumped out of bed and sat at the computer. Remembering my dream I made the same tweaks to the software. Crossing my fingers I inserted a DVD and pressed 'Play'. Cave Dwellers lit up the screen; the software was working again.

I've heard stories of people solving problems in their sleep, but it had never happened to me. That is, before today.

On a related note, at some date in the distant past too long ago for me to remember exactly when, I had a dream...

After a long night of chasing bugs, I slept very soundly, but just before I woke up, I had a lucid dream.

In my dream, I was sitting at a terminal, in the editor vi, paging up and down through the code of the program I had been working on just before I went to sleep. It was very realistic. I was going through the code looking for the bug I had been chasing the night before. While looking for the bug, I noticed some fishy code -- and found a different bug in a section of code I had not even started testing.

At that point, I woke up, logged in, found the section of code, and sure enough...the bug I wasn't looking for was there!

And people think scary movies and spicy food give wierd dreams.

I've had lucid dreams since then, similar to this, but nothing quite as vivid, successful, or unexpected.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.