I wake in my room, still sleeping. The night sky above is star filled, one can barely make out the constallations... My room looks the same, save for a gigantic window through the roof. Claire walks in and tells me she wants to go. I point out the stars, but she doesn't care. No one sees beauty anymore.

Outside, the night sky is even clearer, Claire is still oblivious to it... the rest is a haze, I remember Alexander pointing out a star to me that I had missed (??).

I am at my parents' house, lounging in a bathrobe like I never did. A phone call is recieved -- it is my former piano teacher, requisitioning my services to display the heights of piano virtuositude her students had attained to two new ones.

I am dolled up in dress clothes, guiltily admit to myself that since I haven't really practiced any of my material for the past 2.5 years I'll require the sheet music, and procure the first movement of Beethoven's Sonata Pathetique, by J.S. Bach. (Why the dual-compositorship? Because I hate playing Bach with a passion, and the situation wasn't quite grim enough yet for my subconscious.)

I am at her studio. The two new students are giggly little girls. I manage to put off beginning the song for a half-hour - Maybe if I entertain them enough with my one-liners they'll go away without my having to mangle classical music for them. But no, finally there are no more delaying devices, and I start. And I stop. It is too horrible. But the teacher glares at me, I take a deep breath, and resume.

If you get every note wrong, you are left with an innocuous jumble of static which could be anything - could even be a Bartok or Prokofieff composition. In contrast, I got about only 25% of the notes wrong, which meant that what was heard was clearly a twisted mockery of what was displayed on the sheet music before me.

Fortunately for all concerned, turning around to wink at a giggler after page three, upon turning back we discovered that the sheet music had disappeared, being replaced in its entirety by collections of Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers comix. We snoop around, look inside them and inside the piano just to make sure it hadn't snuck anywhere nearby.

in our last episode... | p_i-logs | and then, all of a sudden...

Sir Edward Elgar and I are actors in a community theater production of The Importance Of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde.

The strange thing is, it's in Cleburne, TX in 1996.

I've reprised my role as Algernon and Elgar is Earnest.

I'm sure this dream could have been much more interesting, but it was just us running through the play for a moderately filled house in the local theater.

Elgar is a pretty good actor.

I was working alone at a one-room space station on orbit of a planet far away at the borders of known space. Suddenly, sensors indicated five incoming ships, and I identified them as Syreen Penetrators (from Star Control). Syreens had a mixed reputation, as groups of five ships often attacked small outposts like this and raped male inhabitants, using arcane technology to keep them hard untill they got satisfied and left their victims in poor condition. I was supposed to report about this, but I thought that this is a ride worth going for! Waking up really sucks ass..

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.