Some friends and I were walking outside our old highschool. We had come back for... something. I remember our old teachers were there. Whatever it was that we were doing there, it was coming to an end, and we began to walk off the school grounds when she pulled me aside.

"Hey, it gets harder from here," she says holding my arm.
"Julie, hey, how have you been..."
"I wanted to see you. I couldn't forget about my rootbeer float."
"I... I know. I always just stare at you at these things,"
"I know, you lost your nerve."
"It's not that, it's just that you've got a boyfriend, and I've got a girlfriend; it didn't seem right."
"We broke up. I've always wanted to tell you I loved you, I just never had the chance."
At this point I was crying, and she was holding me, and the world was spinning, spinning. "See, that's how I know you're perfect for me. I would have said the exact same thing."

I never wanted to leave this place. Something deep inside me did however, and my eyelids parted ever so slightly. Outside it was gray. Inside, a few tears found their place on my pillow.

"Roland looked up and saw Susan sitting in her window, a bright vision in the gray light of that fall morning. His heart leaped up and although he didn't know it then, it was how he would remember her most clearly forever after --- lovely Susan, the girl at the window. So do we pass the ghosts that haunt us later in our lives; they sit undramatically by the roadside like poor beggars, and we see them only from the corners of our eyes, if we see them at all. The idea that they have been waiting there for us rarely if ever crosses our minds. Yet they do wait, and when we have passed, they gather up their bundles of memory and fall in behind, treading in our footsteps and catching up, little by little." - Wizard and Glass, Stephen King.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.