Drying herbs is a good method of keeping them for future use. Although it may reduce their effectiveness, there are a couple of ways to conserve them reasonably well.

  1. Spread the herbs out in a thin layer on a clean surface or on paper.
  2. Hang them up in bundles.

In both cases, the herbs should be placed in a well ventilated location with no moisture or direct sunlight. Use only the best fresh plants, and do not over-handle them. Bruising will result in unsightly discolouration in the dried product. Do not dry in temperatures higher than: 85 - 95 degrees Fahrenheit for plants and leaves; 115 degrees Fahrenheit for roots; and 100 degrees Fahrenheit for bulbs. Large or long roots should be cut into two or three slices lengthways and hung on a piece of string, whereas small roots can be dried whole. For bulbs, remove the outer layer and slice. Bark must have the outer layer scraped off, and be dried in direct sunlight. Plants are fully dried when their stems are brittle and break easily.

To be stored, the leaves of the plant are stripped from the stems or stalks. Once dried, it is important to store the herbs where they are protected from light and oxygen. They should be kept in an airtight, dark glass jar or in a tin, and stored in a cool, dry place. Dried herbs will lose their effectiveness if kept for too long, so they should be discarded after 13 months. If they are exposed to moisture at any time, they can be re-dried at room temperature.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.