Due South is a television show that ran first on the CBC (Canada) and on CBS (USA) simultaneously. Because it was an imaginitive, entertaining and entirely unclassifiable show, it was cancelled shortly after starting its third season. Due to fan response and financial resources from the Canadian Film Board and the BBC, it was revived in syndication. It lasted through another season before the principle actors decided to go their separate ways.

Due South is about RCMP Constable Benton Fraser (Paul Gross) and his adventures in Chicago, assisted by his faithful wolf Diefenbaker and his good friend Chicago PD's Detective Ray Vecchio (David Marciano). Later in the series, Ray had to go under deep cover, and was replaced by Detective Stanley Ray Kowalski (Callum Keith Rennie), called Ray for short.

Constable Fraser used to work in the Territories in northern Canada, until his father was killed. He first came to Chicago on the trail of the killers of his father, and for reasons that don't need exploring at this juncture, he's remained attached as liaison to the Canadian consulate. He is very polite, and is often known to say things like "please," "You're welcome," and "Thank you kindly."

The series blurred the line between comedy and drama as often as it could, much like other shows on the air around the same time, Northern Exposure and Picket Fences being two of the most notable examples. It was charming and often whimsical in nature, and still has quite a following around the world.

Much more information about this show can be gotten at its official site, http://www.duesouth.com , or at the excellent and highly detailed fan site at http://home.hiwaay.net/~warydbom/duesouth.htm .

Or rather, “dueSouth theme songs”. There are three versions of the song that have been used in the TV series dueSouth.

The first version, used at the beginning of the show’s run, has lyrics. The second version is basically the first version without lyrics, but the third version, used later in the series, is a distinct variation on the second version. It has much more of a rock feel than the first two, but maintains part of the Country and Western feel that was very strong in the first and second versions.

The first version is 3 minutes 13 long. The second is 1 minute 50 long. The third is 1 minute 52 long.

Confusingly they are all called “dueSouth Theme”, and all are performed by Jay Semko and all co-written by Jay Semko and Bryan Potvin.

The first two versions of the theme can be found on dueSouth: The Original Television Soundtrack CD. The third version can be found on dueSouth, Volume II: The Original Television Soundtrack CD.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.