Dulle Griet (AKA Dull Gret and Mad Meg) is a stock character in Flemish folklore who is basically the ill-tempered, unpleasant, bossy woman. Also she robbed hell with an army of ladies with equally sunny dispositions.

I must assume that there are actual stories about Griet, but they're either in Dutch or not written online, and so are out of reach. However, the character was popularized by a painting by the Flemish painter, Pieter Bruegel the Elder, that depicts Griet and her army raising a ruckus in hell. The painting shows Griet decked out in men's armor, loaded up with loot she's plundered, and still going for more. Supposedly the painting was meant to have Griet and her army as the personification of greed (they've all got their arms full and are still dead-set on robbing Satan), but really, if you had the devil and company on the run, wouldn't you chase him and steal his stuff, just to show you could?

The painting in turn was most likely inspired by a few Flemish sayings, "(S)he could plunder in front of hell and remain unscathed." and "One woman makes a din, two women a lot of trouble, three an annual market, four a quarrel, five an army, and against six the Devil himself has no weapon."

Griet was also a nickname used for loud mouthed, unpleasant women during Brugel's time ("Where two Griets are in one house, no barking dog is needed."). It's also the nickname for cannons (presumably because they are loud and unpleasant too). Dulle Griet also appears in the play Top Girls by Caryl Churchill.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.