Duncan, British Columbia, Canada is a city of 4600 found in the Cowichan Valley, on Vancouver Island. It holds the claim to having the warmest weather in Canada, it being the only Maritime-Mediterranean zone.

Originally, the land was home to the Cowichan tribe of the Coast Salish Nation. White settlements were established in the area in 1848, and Duncan was founded in 1886, when a railroad was made between Esquimalt and Nanaimo. A farmer, by the name of William Duncans happened to own the farmland where an interurban station was planned. This land became the centre of what is now the city of Duncan.

Eventually, deposits of copper were found, and mining, then forestry, agriculture, and tourism ensued to encourage the region's economic growth.

With the completion of the Canadian National Railway, in the late 1800s, Duncan met a large influx of homesteaders, and in 1912, Duncan was incorporated, then got a post office in 1913.

More recently, in 1985, Duncan became known as the "City of Totems" when a whole bunch of totem poles were erected to recongnize the First Nations people who lived there before.

Duncan has three sister cities: Kaikohe, New Zealand; Meru, Kenya; and Montmagny, Québec, Canada.

The name Duncan, comes from the Celtic for Dark-skinned Warrior.
Duncan is a family in the Scottish Clan Robertson.
Duncan was the King of Scotland, and was killed by Macbeth.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.