Johnnie "Dusty" Baker (1949- ) is the manager of the Chicago Cubs and former manager of the San Francisco Giants. Since becoming a skipper in 1993 he has led his teams to four division titles, including an appearance in the 2002 World Series (losing in 7 games to the Anaheim Angels) and captured the prestigious manager of the year award in 1993, 1997, and 2000. Baker is known as a consummate motivator who consistently seems to get more out of his players than anyone thought they could give, and has a reputation as a "player's manager" that veterans like to play for. One of his trademarks is constantly chewing on toothpicks throughout the game.

Baker was also an excellent five tool outfielder during his playing days with the Braves, Dodgers, Giants, and A's who hit for power and average, stole bases and played gold glove defense. In 1977 he was part of a major league record four Dodgers teammates who hit 30 or more home runs, along with Steve Garvey, Ron Cey, and Reggie Smith, and in 1981 he helped lead the Dodgers to the World Series title.

Baker is currently one of the most experienced managers in the major leagues, and as he is only in his 50s, he does not figure to turn in the lineup cards anytime soon.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.