OK, not counting my titling, no ASCII symbol 0x65 nor 0x45 occurs in this wu, though it unavoidably occurs in its HTML tags. I think I shall possibly try to construct a good composition without it. Sadly, I can't think of how to amplify this paragraph's bulk so much as to allow for any significant comparison with A Void, which is a book, I kid you not! Should I magnify it with <big>? I think not; that would count as faking. In addition, ruffling through all of my dictionary for difficult words is tiring, so in conclusion, I'll stop writing this for now. If you want, you can add to it, but I do warn you thus: writing with a constraint is difficult! Anyway, in total this tiny work is only 155 words. How pitiful.

PS: Just kidding about going through all of my dictionary. I found my words by using a synonym-finding tool. :-)

Gritchka says A good start, but you'll find by practising that it's not at all hard to sustain lipogrammatic writing for as long as anybody could wish, without it looking or sounding particularly unusual. And it's fun to try too. :)

<A work in progress>

Intro

Some people spend too much time trying not to use one letter. The whole thing seems quite pointless to me. Since twenty-six letters exist for the choosing, why not utilise the full compliment of them? Yes yes, I concede the following: for you, this constitutes "restricted writing"; you invent or explore new styles of writing. Well, sorry to burst the bubble, but... it's pointless, not to mention time-consuming.

Morever, some people actually find this silliness funny. In fact, it's little more than some English students with nothing to do trying to be funny. You failed. I'm sorry.

Think of all the other things you could be doing with your time! In the time it's taken you to write one paragraph without the letter 'e', you could have boiled three eggs or opened any number of envelopes. As the bloke who runs Ikea says, "Divide your day into ten minute slots and waste as few of them as possible doing nothing." You too might make a Swedish furniture one day!

Some people say that, as long as it's not interfering with me, I ought to just let you get on with it. I have two things to say to these people, and one of them is "Fuck".

I am told that an amusing (and slightly sad), thrill is to try to talk to a man (or woman) standing by you on public transport, or on ICQ, without using a particular symbol, and to maintain this for as long as you can. Such talk is usually unduly tough at first, but with much practising it can in fact absorb your thoughts and you will find this occuring without your control. This particular lipogrammatic writing is, according to statistics, a most difficult option, and it is actually now fairly boring. But try it! It's a work-out for your mind!

An occasionally-amusing pursuit is to read a large body written in a "restricted" style and try to discern what rules are being applied. Perhaps some amongst you are wondering just that about this particular exercise. Well, I shan't spoil it for you, but read with care and I'm sure it will become apparent in good time. How many paragraphs are there?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.