E.M.S Namboodiripad, popularly known as EMS, was the head of the first communist ministry of the world which came to power through a public election.

EMS was born on June 13, 1909 in Perinthalmanna, Kerala, India.

During his college days, he was deeply associated with the Indian National Congress and Indian Independence Struggle. In 1934, he joined the Congress Socialist Party. His commitment to socialist ideals and compassion towards the working class associated him with the Communist movement in Kerala, which was majorly involved in rebellions against the feudal lords of Kerala. The communist movement was banned at that time and he had to go in hiding for many years.

The Kerala state was formed in 1956, nine years after India achieved independence. In 1957, the first public election was held in Kerala and EMS led the Communists to victory. Soon he introduced the revolutionary Land Reform Ordinance and Education Bill, which caused the dismissal of his government by the central government using the controversial article 356 of the Indian Constitution. However, these revolutionary bills led to a dramatic change in the social outlook of the Kerala socity.

He was considered as the Ideological guru of the Marxism in India.
EMS died on March 19, 1998.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.