The experience point system of E2 reminds me of Robert A. Heinlein's book Starship Troopers (not the film, mind you). I shall explain why as follows:

In E2, you gain responsibility though advancing levels that are gained by serving the community (write ups) and experience points (peer review). So unless you contribute to the community, and do it in such way that is beneficial to it (as determined by fellow "citizens" and Editors), you have no say over it's future. By giving out rights only to those who serve, one ensures continuity and growth. Those who do not serve are still able to partake (use), but have no say about E2.

Now, in Heinlein's Starship Troopers, the political system has the same base concept. One has to serve to get a say in the community. This service can be civil or military. Those who do not serve the community don't get to vote. Other than that, they have all rights to partake in every aspect of community right, but they can't vote, be voted on, etc. So those who wish to help mold the future of the community, must prove their commitment by serving the community first. The right to vote is thus acquired by merit, and not by birth or by aging.

So there are similarities between E2 and Starship Troopers. ST had a fascist regime, am I implying the same for E2? Not at all, E2 is a free community for everyone to use, a great piece of community service that I've come to value very much. And it can only be that way because it has an excellent system of quality control. To be able to decide it`s future, one has to be willing to contribute to the system, and to demonstrate one's understanding of the underlying principles. Responsibility, therefore, comes with experience and diligence. I, for one find it an excellent system of quality control, as the "citizens" of E2 decide upon its contents.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.