This easy-to-make potato cake goes well with most types of food. I recommend it with a spicy tomato sauce and peppers stuffed with salmon and lentils. You could also use the same recipe to make potato pancakes which would be good as a snack or for brunch.

Ingredients

To make for four

Directions

Quarter the potatoes, boil until soft.

Once the potatoes are cooked through (could take up to an hour) drain the water and peel the potatoes.

Return the peeled potatoes to the pan and mash with a knob of butter. Once mashed, transfer to a glass bowl.

Let the mashed potatoes cool slightly until its just warm to the touch. Add some salt and pepper to taste. Pour in some extra virgin olive oil and a 15yr old balsamic vinegar. Grate some parmesan in.

Crack the eggs into the bowl and mix into the potato, add matzah meal (or flour or breadcrumbs) and mix in until the mixture becomes firm enough to shape into balls. Cover and place in fridge until ready to cook.

To cook, put a frying pan (non-stick helps) on a high heat with plenty of oil in it. Form the potato into little cakes, about 1" high and 2" in diameter (you could also form them into pancakes and then cook for a shorter time). Place each cake into the pan and let both top and bottom brown and get slightly seared (do one side and then turn over). Lower the heat and allow to warm through.

Serve with a spicy tomato sauce poured over each cake and half an artichoke heart placed on top.

Eat, drink and be merry!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.