I’m a lucky girl.

Throughout the week, I have someone in my life that manages to cook breakfast for me nearly every morning. I try to make up for this by cooking breakfast on the weekends. Usually something that can be eaten during the week as well so that he doesn’t have to cook every day. This is one of the recipes I make fairly regularly. I particularly like the fact that by using a cast iron skillet (or other oven safe skillet) I don’t dirty as many pans or dishes as I normally would.

Let’s talk about the ingredients for this. I typically will cook my bacon first in the same cast iron skillet, drain off the drippings and then use a tablespoon of the bacon grease instead of vegetable oil. You can easily substitute ham for the bacon, throw in a little bell pepper with the onion, use a different type of cheese, etc. Additionally, you can use something like Eggbeaters® instead of eggs. I particularly like to use the “Southwestern” style Eggbeaters®. You get the point. This is a very flexible recipe, and very forgiving as well. Its HARD to screw this up.

Here’s the basics:

Ingredients:

  • 2-3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 onions, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 4-6 eggs, beaten
  • 6 pieces cooked bacon, crumbled
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
  2. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
  3. In a cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook slowly, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft.
  4. Stir in drained potatoes, bacon, salt and pepper. Pour in the beaten eggs and put the skillet into the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the eggs are set.
  5. Top frittata with shredded cheese and put it back into the oven for 5 minutes.

Allow the frittata to rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.