Ed Koch was the mayor of New York City from 1978 to 1989. Koch was raised in New York, and ultimately became one of New York's most outgoing and best-loved mayors. He's best known for his habit of walking up to New Yorkers at random and asking them "So, how'm I doing?"

Koch succeeded as mayor for one main reason: he was crazy. Specifically, he was crazy in the in-your-face, up-your-ass, screw-you-and-your-mother-too way that epitomizes the stereotypical lifelong New Yorker. At town meetings, citizens would stand up and bitch at him, and he'd bitch right back at them with his biting, nasal New York accent. Reporters got the same treatment; they feared him almost as much as they feared Bobby Knight (though Koch, to be fair, was never known for throwing chairs). He called himself "a liberal, but one with sanity," and never hesitated to point out the insanity of any other liberals (or conservatives, or libertarians, or anarchists, or whoever sparked his ire).

Perfect. New York needs a mayor who's half a bubble or so off plumb--rational people can't handle the job. Koch's successor, a man by the name of David Dinkins, was mellow and almost tediously sane; many city-dwellers remember him (if they remember him at all) as a meek and ineffectual man about whom there is little to say.

In a bizarre yet curiously appropriate twist, Koch ended up as a judge on the TV show People's Court--a show rather similar to today's Judge Judy. And after all these years, he still looks like Frank Perdue of Perdue Chickens.

Editors note: Ed Koch died of congestive heart failure on February 1, 2013. He was 88 years old.

Ed Koch also voluntarily allowed Conan O'Brien to punch him in the chest during Conan's attempt to get into the Guinness Book of World Records for "Most Mayors Punched In The Chest In One Day". Also punched in the chest were New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani and McDonaldland's Mayor McCheese (who later suffered a comical gang-style beating from some stagehands). Andy Richter suggested that they attend some sort of mayoral convention to secure the record, Conan replied something to the effect of, "This show doesn't have the money for that! We spent half of this year's budget just to get Mayor McCheese!"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.