August 29, 2000
Everything Editor Logs
backthen | yonderwhen

Hear o dem bones, yet another tale of woe, wail, and hardship.

More msgs to users, title changes, fixed a few Webster's entries.

Here we go. Into the Crypt:

  • Fozi Bear requested by Powers.
  • Thirteen nodes (Why did you erase my nodes?; Chatterbox Bot; A second chance; The Natives are Restless; Love-lies-bleeding; water from the Sky; Narcissistic wounding; reflection of self; DeepTruth; Bored rich geek jerk off mindfucks; chattering Alien heads; opinons; The Insane Planet) all by FX. Most were at -8 or so. User had deleted all content and put in "deleted by jessicapierce". Which of course makes no sense as the user deleted the content itself. Nuke requests were made by xdjio and Fruan, who also wanted the user nuked. So I did.
  • AOL-Time-Warner by WolfDaddy, as requested.
  • Green Peace by Zeolite, as requested.
  • The Count by idoru and Liz Lot. The former was linkless and pointless, the first pointless and with broken spelling.
  • The Whitlams by cantsin. Pointless three word node from November 13, 1999.
  • slurpee by blaaf. As requested.
  • The Word by Bilton2000. A duplicate. As requested.
  • Allen Cox by markster and enterfornone. Nov. 13, 1999 nodes that misspelled the name in any case. As requested by Sudderth.
  • Humans with Vaginas by mblase. As requested.

Hum. I didn't just delete Under Milkwood because it didn't have anything to add. It also got the title of the play wrong. The user (arfarf) has never logged into E2. What was i to do? Its idiocy will be enshrined here as an example of how not to review literature.
A stupid play by Dylan Thomas. Who had to make a living somehow, since he was also a poet. Yeah, right, like we don't got enough of those, know what I'm sayin?
Ok, and i'll admit it, i like the play. But still.

      Misspelled nodeshells that pouf!ed: A Validiction: FOrbidding Mourning / kit lo is afriad of datagirl / akjdhsa8duaslfnsdf (can only assume it was a terrible misspelling of something that would have been terribly insightful.)

      Several missions commissioned and completed for the Bureau of Rectification of Names. Details are classified.

      And the revenant Nov. 13 nodes correctly spelled node nuked+2 and its brother correctly spelled node nuked+3, lacking their leader and their proper context (the editorial politics and method of the original Everything) were wooden-staked into the crypt, out of pure kindness really.

Baffo's "For the Spunky New User" is a much better first-intro-to-E2 than my own. It does the same thing but does it better, and in a small fraction of the space.

Had a nice chat with an irate lad who believes devoutly that "syndrome" has no 'e' in it, and that his broken sentence fragments are too subtle and complex for me to understand. It's a mystery to me why these kids aren't out there getting paid to write, if they're so good at it.

Attempted to establish communication with some confused newbies. None were malignant, and a couple of them were lucid and showed promise. Sent some correction /msg's to long-time users.

Killed:

  • Cartoon Laws by lazyr

    "See The Cartoon Laws of Physics."

  • I need to come up with a node that will blow everybody's node out of the water by shaynetonio

    It was a first writeup saying that s/he didn't know what to say, and that s/he should probably turn the computer off and drink some milk. S/he's on the right track, and I'm going to do the same right now. I sent a /msg to explain that it wasn't a very good writeup, and to make some suggestions.

  • Shady Side Academy by Coaster2

    This was an semi-coherent, semi-literate, linkless set of personal impressions of the eponymous school, apparently by a student at the school. The quality of the writing does the school no credit. There's another writeup there which covers the subject well. The user was here for two days in July, produced two writeups, and has not returned.

    The other writeup is better. It's about "a weard Bar" in Brussels. I like "weard". I'm trying to think of something good for it to mean. It might be a pelican with long hair and sad eyes, which lives in the desert and dines on fleas.



Above, dannye mentions killing op-abuser by RST. This afternoon, RST became very upset in the chatterbox about my killing of shaynetonio's writeup. S/he demanded to know by what authority I'd acted, and spoke of going to "somebody" who would "do something about it". My gut feeling is that I was within bounds and needn't be concerned. I looked at RST's most recent few writeups, and that one stood out. dannye and I discussed the issue briefly, and for one reason or another, I passed him op-abuser. It wasn't a kind or gentle thing to do, because editors kill things like that (I'd have killed it outright if I weren't having some kind of unfathomable conflict with the author), but it seems to me that if RST wants to node that stuff s/he may as well take credit for it. I give such tedious and unnecessary detail in case RST looms up again and makes another stink.

Hm, the writeup's been restored/rewritten by the user, and somewhat improved. It will live.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.