Good Cop Bad Cop 

On the best of my good days I can almost fool myself into believing that I know what I'm doing here. Mostly.  The rest of the time it's a painfully random happenstance. If I stumble over your skimpy, poorly-written off-the-cuff writeup when I'm in a good mood I may give it a pass on the assumption that the fact that I don't get it, doesn't mean there's nothing of value there.  On the other hand, your orotund exposition wafting mellifluously through the nodegel may have its precious little bubble pricked over a few glaring typos if it catches me at the wrong time.

Arbitrary, inconsistent and lacking confidence.  I'll fess to all of that right up front, and rely on it as a plausible explanation for why I'm taking my time easing into the content editor role.  I've nuked a half dozen nodes so far and I stand by all them.  Each writer has received a personal message and a couple have even thanked me for the feedback.  One knucklehead claimed to be delighted with the publicity value of being my first nuke!

So I'm taking it slow and I have to believe that I'll be a better editor for it in the end. In the mean time, I ask a lot of questions.

Copyright Crusader

I may not be much of an editor yet, but I'm paying it forward in trying to ease the transition to the new E2 copyright policy.   I'm so deeply immersed in the mechanics of this copyright compliance process that I'm gonna need a decompression chamber if I want to get out alive!  I'm not a martyr to the cause or anything, this stuff has become a real obsession and I've had the pleasure of working closely with some wonderful people.  But I hope, and I have to believe, that this will be worthwhile in the end because it sure has had a lot of calories expended on it. 

I'm dreamin a dream of E2 and it doesn't include copyright violations.  It's as simple as that. 

The Quest is over, long live the Quest! 

Out of the ashes of the Copyright Redemption Quest, arose the Content Salvage Team (CST) as an ongoing service to the E2 community. As the Quest drew to an end, the members of the group put their heads together and made the decision to keep the idea alive.  I reckon this whole thing has been pretty widely advertised already, but at the risk of being redundant, here's a synopsis.  It's mostly cut and paste from the Content_Salvage homenode, but a little well placed redundancy can be useful sometimes.

The Content Salvage Team (CST) was formed  in mid August 2003 in response to the new E2 copyright policy.  The CST originally operated under the auspices of the Copyright Redemption Quest  During the Quest, the Copyright Salvage Team (CST) reviewed over 550 writeups submitted by 97 different E2 authors. 535 of the writeups were deemed compliant with the new policy and the authors were encouraged to add the CST Approved tag as an indication that the writeup had passed a formal inspection. The text of these reviews was stored for future reference in a series of collaboration documents titled CST_Storage_n.  A summary of the compliant reviews was created in Copyright Compliant Lyrics and Poems

CST FAQ (How Do I...?)

Below you'll find some "path of least resistance" procedures for using the CST services.  As in all things, there's more than one way to skin a cat, so feel free to improvise on these suggestions where necessary.  This is just intended to get you where you want to go as expeditiously as possible.

How do I submit a writeup for CST Review?

Easy as pie!  Just contact us like this:

 /msg Content_Salvage Please review [MyWriteUpTitle] for copyright compliance.

We also ask that you include any special copyright information that you think is relevant to the review.  For example, if you received permission to quote from the original author, or if you know the work is in the public domain let us know. 

How do I submit a writeup for the CST Referral Service?

Just contact us like this:

 /msg Content_Salvage Please add [WriteUpTitle] to the referral list.  The original author is [Me or Fled or Not going to repost] and this writeup is available for rescue.

How do I request advice or assistance from the CST?

We're happy to field your questions to the best of our abilities. 

 /msg Content_Salvage My girlfriend's father's brother is good friends with a former drummer from Adam and the Ants.  He says it's totally cool to post the lyrics to It's just no fun being an illegal alien.  Izzat Cool or what?

Hmmmm, like I said, we'll do our best...

Do I have to submit my writeup for CST Review? 

Heck no.  In fact the E2 copyright policy is pretty straightforward and if you are confident that your work is compliant just let er rip.  CST reviews are best used if you aren't sure yet how the policy works, or have a special situation that requires interpretation.

 

- grouch

===================&===================

For lots more E2 copyright info see the Content_Salvage homenode.

I will kiss the Girl From Venus!1

Flowers die and so will I.

I will kiss the Girl From Venus: for sCience!


  1. I greeted each of these noders within their first 24 hours on E2. I typically include links to the Perfect Node, E2 Clueless (newbie) mistakes to avoid, /msg, and the Power Structure of Everything2 in my greeting. Two noders this month wrote back and thanked me for the friendly welcome. I take this as a sign that I'm doing some good.
  2. cpt is a new noder who started to write a series of nodes about shotguns and the mechanics of reloading one's own shells. This (the writing, not the reloading) is a common problem with noders who are otherwise very attentive to our rules. It seems like the desire exists to create a vaguely inbred series of definitions and jargon from one topic, and then slowly integrate their own nodespace with the nodegel. Can we (or do we already) address this in one of the FAQs?

Ich bin zurüüüück!

Yes, I have once again fallen into the honeypot-like, hubris-ridden trap of believing that I am fit to judge the works of my fellow noder. Worse, still, The Man has made the same mistake. Nothing but trouble can come of this...


In my previous logs, I have discussed topics such as:


Nose to the grindstone:

  • Edited
    Owners of edited WUs get a /msg informing them of the edit. Very minor stuff isn't listed here - this is for more extensive edits. Also, if I thought a WU was good enough to merit the effort involved in an extensive edit, it probably is worth a visit - so this list is a good guide to miscellaneous interesting WUs.
  • Killed
    The following are writeups I've nuked. Comments in quote marks are actual excerpts from the Klaproth messages I have sent - but they are not the whole story. I always sign my Klaproth messages, and I generally try to follow up on them, elaborating my reasoning. If you feel slighted, let me know - and we'll talk about it.
  • Editor cooled
    As is my self-imposed rule, I shall try to restrict myself to 3 ed-cools a month
    • (...)
  • Firmlinked
  • Softlocked
    • (...)

In ancient times,
hundreds of years before the dawn of history
lived a strange race of beings:
the Noders.
no-one knows who they were,
or what they were doing
but their legacy remains,
hewn into the living surface of the nodegel.

    His final blessing, Klaproth has given
  • deleted exactly and approximately 90 WUs of unexplicated lyrics by Stephen Merrit/Magnetic Fields, posted by pziemba, Elaine, and cody
  • deleted two blanked WUs, very possibly the Second Smallest Asamoth Ever
  • nasopharyngitis by indiaopal one line redirect
  • Avida Dollars by Enoch Root one liner superseded
  • She's Like the Wind from the soundtrack to Dirty Dancing
  • Love is like a Bottle of Gin, a brilliant lyric by Stephen Merrit
  • Hello World by rchicken mysteriously blank
  • Never Do Anything, personal problems,Tremere code all by LitBolt good nodeskeeping is always appreciated
  • Stonehenge by megan_of_wutai and, oh, how they danced, the little children of Stonehenge
  • sex dwarf by arrowfall isn't it nice, sugar and spice, luring disco dollies to a life of vice
  • Keyboards with a big L-shaped "enter" covering the place Pipe usually is by iconoplasty unnecessary contribution from a fled user
  • manufacturers and connections by a new noder convention dictates we node under the singular form of a noun
  • NP and Dance Dance Dance by xona at the noder's request, however, I'd like to state that there is place for short introductory WUs that give the essential information regarding a thing perfunctory to the appearance of a longer essay on that thing
  • card games by sabby an old E1 WU, deleted at the noder's request
  • another airport by elvensilver a short poem written by the noder, at the noder's request
  • Leave the Economics out of the Bedroom by Outer_Real anecdotal; neither about economics nor bedrooms
  • Avoiding Murder by Outer_Real a series of situations that would fail as comic sketches and practical advice
  • color blind, writeups by SCSIbug, entropidus, Dunc, apothanousa anecdotal, redundant, unsubstantiated, and curious, in turn
  • Frenzal Rhomb by rakka "writeup" does not mean "reply"
  • the bride by outlawpoet no one wants to read an WU about every character in a movie
  • The Struggle, Talk of the Town, The Opposite, Party II, Letting Go, Yuri Wakes Up Screaming, Epidermis Girl by alvin unexplicated lyrics
  • Bobby Flay sucks! He got his ass handed to him by the IRON CHEF! by jeepney an off-topic rant
  • Tom Wolfe by georgejmyersjr warning: splinters off in a thousand directions
  • Are You The One That I've Been Waiting For? by Nick Cave
  • Under the Milky Way, What God Wants, Part II, Shadows In The Rain, Say Hello, Wave Goodbye, Consider Me Gone, The human body as proof for evolution by tandex at the noder's request
  • The human body as proof for evolution by rabidcow responsorial
  • BLT with no teeth by yes_thats_me I hope I die before I get old
  • zucchetto by BelDion superseded
  • Japanese Peso by Chad Reasco one-liner; noder encouraged to try again
  • Munchkin's dragon slayer by Arithon hooray for munchkins
  • If you can't do 50 sit ups nobody wants to see your midriff by Mardy ranting
  • The House of the Spirits Family Tree by xxbabyliciouzxx no content
  • Tabasco sauce by eclip5e lists of things are not WUs
  • skirts for men by Nefarious Skunk Weasel an E1 WU that had overstayed its welcome
  • acrylic mirror and Riggers' bend by a new noder who was referred to the appropriate documentation and people
  • personal nodes by fugitive247 deprecated
  • "Hey-Zues!" by Lady* "the 'Jesus Loves Me' t-shirts … are pointless, much like this node, and it angers me!"
  • The Cube by Adrenfreak at the noder's request
  • polyatomic ion by Flip a listing superseded by a WU with additional information
  • Akita by CentrX superseded
  • the mouse by ke6isf we all understand the use of a definite article preceeding a noun to signify a particular proper noun
  • July 22, 2003, I was frying eggs and thinking that life itself is really the only worthwhile entertainment., twisted, Ryan Dunn, nightlife, Ostrasized by hunt05 at the noder's request
  • Machinehead, Dead Meat, Jesus Online, testosterone, Personal Holloway lyrics by the band Bush; Get on the Ball, dark blue, ache, Suspension without Suspense lyrics by No Doubt; Hunger Strike lyrics by Temple of the Dog; Chaman lyrics by Maná; Get Born Again, lyrics by Alice in Chains; Hallow, lyrics by A Perfect Circle; Superheroes, lyrics by Esthero; posted by Ebyan
  • I can hang out with guys without fucking them! by mE123 G*T*K*Y* you ain't got no alibi
  • Marvel Comics Code by BuddahSmile superseded
  • How to get free stuff from fast food joints by a charming adolescent
  • Using batteries as keyboard weights by another new noder, and a response
  • You can't buy Sudafed and Vick's VapoRub at the same time at Costco by a new noder who has been referred to our FAQs
  • Revenge of the Lawn by Codger repetition of a WU posted by the same noder approximately three years ago; kinda eerie
  • Waltz #1 and Cat Faces by natasha 5 at the noder's request
  • Roots of globalization by nosce at the noder's request
  • Philips Electronics by BritHistorian at the noder's request
  • Toku by SandJack pointless E1 node
  • Shadow Warrior by Hai-Etlik superseded
  • Wonka Bar, Legend of the Burning Sands, Shadowlands, The Crab Clan, Toku, Nothrog, Shadow Warrior, Long Knives, The Battle of Ki-Rin's Shrine, The Dragon Clan, Scorpion Clan Coup, Even Unto Death: Part Two, and Unfinished Business: Conclusion all by sabby at the noder's request
  • The Presidential Pretzel by borgo at the noder's request
  • Tanqueray, WUs by robwicks and FastEddie gangstas n hoez, this onez superseded, yo
  • October 27, 2003 by Bitriot at the noder's request
  • Robert Blake by borgo at the noder's request
  • Smut's Games (From Drowning by Numbers), Dawn Card-Castles, Flights of Fancy (or Reverse Strip Jump), Sheep and Tides, The Great Death Game, Deadman’s Catch, Bees in the Trees, Hangman's Cricket, Tug of War, The Hare and Hounds by tlon a check of my own Node Heaven confirms that I'd deleted all these once already, it was a copyright violation then and remains so now
  • squat party by ttl this "see also" WU was folded into the noder's WU free party

Nothing is poison.

Everything is poison.

Mundian tho bach ke rahi
Ni thu hunay hunay hoeyi mutayar
Mundian tho bach ke rahi
Ni thu hunay hunay hoeyi mutayar
Mundian tho bach ke rahiiiii---oyyyy


Mundian tho bach ke, Panjabi MC

Hanzified

Kanjified

Praise be to Mozilla and Gjiten on Red Hat Linux 9.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.