A good, basic cookbook found in just about every New Zealand household. New Zealand's all-time best seller book, the Edmonds Cookery Book, also known as Edmonds Cookbook, was first published in 1907 as a promotional booklet for Edmonds Baking Powder "Sure to Rise". It has moved with the times, and greatly enlarged subsequent editions incorporated gas cooking in 1971, metrication in 1976 and the advent of the microwave.
Many recipes have survived from the original edition, such as Suet Pastry, Scones, and Tea Cake. Well known recipes are Pikelets, Anzac biscuits, Afghans, Pavlova, Toheroa Soup, and Scotch Eggs.

The cookbook presumes that it's readers are somewhat experienced cooks, as none of the cooking terms are explained. It includes a cooking hint on each page, many of which carry on the promotional origins of the book - "When stewing prunes, add 1 dessertspoon of Edmonds Raspberry Jelly Crystals to the water" or "Add 1/2 teaspoon Edmonds Baking Powder to any fritter recipe and the product will be lighter."

The cover of the book shows the now demolished Edmonds factory with it's distinctive "Sure to Rise" rising sun logo, and formal gardens, which were in Christchurch.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.