"As great a picture can be made as one's mental capacity--no greater. Art cannot be taught; it must be self-inspiration, though the imagination may be fired and the ambition and work directed by the advice and example of others." -Edward Weston

1886-1958 American Photographer, one of the grand masters of 20th century photography. Born in Highland Park, IL a suburb of Chicago. When he was 16, he was given a Kodak camera. He took some of his first photos in the city Parks of Chicago. In 1903 he got his first photos displayed in an exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago. His legacy includes thousands of carefully composed, superbly printed photographs which have influenced photographers around the world. In 1922 traveled to New York City, where he met Alfred Stieglitz, Paul Strand, Georgia O'Keeffe, and Charles Sheeler. In 1923 he moved to Mexico City where he opened a studio; returned to California in 1926. In 1932 he was a founding member of the Group f/64 of purists: Ansel Adams, Willard Van Dyke, Imogen Cunningham, Consuelo Kanaga and others. Just like Ansel Adams, the vast body of Weston's work is currently housed at the Center for Creative Photography in Tucson.

He also has work in the permanent collection of: Related Nodes:

Source: http://www.masters-of-photography.com/W/weston/weston.html Last Updated 04.18.04

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.